Bryceandmandy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Hey all havvent posted in a while, life got reeeal busy. Wanted to share that i grabbed a db 80 frag tank(48x24x16). This is in fw because soonenough it will house amazonian stingrays! Stay posted for pics and details. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bryceandmandy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Hey all here's a bit of an update. Progress has been slow but its coming along nicely. Here's an updated shot.
a6898ac2-d59b-ab47.jpg

LatinP

Look at my bare bottom!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Sounds a little small for sting rays..How big do they get? Most rays get pretty large

Some freshwater Rays stay on the small side, as long as the tank is at least 3 times the width and depth of the ray they should be fine. You might be getting a different species for all I know I've seen these in a few peoples houses though they need a deeper than usual tank which a frag tank is. The top pic is a juvi the bottom pics are adults.

Potamotrygon%20henlei%20IZOO%20MD.JPG

FW%20Ray%20sys.%20SG%2009.jpg

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Looks like they are..that's what I was thinking..like I said most rays get big motoros get pretty huge from what I remember. Definitely do research on whatever rays you are planning on getting Bryce. The last thing you want is to end up with a huge monster you don't know what to do with when it gets too big. It's the most common mistake in the aquarium hobby. My brother's gf got him a sweetlips for his bday because the moron at the store suggested it and said it would be fine for a 58 gallon tank. Her not knowing they get over 2 feet as an adult bought the fish. Oddly enough it died in a day but hey that's ichtown for you. I know there is teacup rays not sure the species or how big they get but I would imagine they stay somewhat of a small size.

Bryceandmandy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Its an 80 gallon, furthermore there are six generally accepted species that are considered to be 'dwarf' rays. Some reaching 14" max disc width and others areound 18-20". Two are potamotrygon hystrix and potamotrygon humerosa. The true brazilian hystrix rays are quite rare but i am lined up to grab two. Females( the larger of the sexes) teach about 14" or so. Ive been loosely in contact with a U michigan professor who has done quite a bit of research for positive species ID and profiles regarding care and size. If the entire footprint of the tank i have is open itll be fine for two 'small' rays. Theres plenty of info out there but make sure its from a scholarly source becauase there are far too many armchair biologists out there.

Teacups are typically reticulata rays which get very large.

yesjenks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Rays in the picture are called balck diamonds. They run at almost 5K a pair.

Tice tank. If you're keeping Hystrix you could hold them for may years in a 48x24. Aquascapeonline is in the middle of a CRAZY Hystrix sale for $75 each. They're normally prices at $225 each.

Good luck with the stingrays! They're truly beautiful creatures to watch!

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Rays in the picture are called balck diamonds. They run at almost 5K a pair.

Tice tank. If you're keeping Hystrix you could hold them for may years in a 48x24. Aquascapeonline is in the middle of a CRAZY Hystrix sale for $75 each. They're normally prices at $225 each.

Good luck with the stingrays! They're truly beautiful creatures to watch!
There is no ray on the site for 75 they are all like 150 or more

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: