JennM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this in my email.

Never heard of this organization before: http://www.saia-online.eu/ The email came from Christiane Schmidt (also not familiar with this name).

Anybody know more on this? Sounds like the EU version of MAC (??)

Jenn

Attachments

• List of Unsuitable & Unsustainable Species.pdf
    162.4 KB · Views: 420

spawner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it as well with this email message: From: christiane schmidt <[email protected]>

Dear Stakeholders,

Complementing the SAIA FishSelector and our 'Code of Best Practices' we have compiled a list of species unsuitable to keep alive for long in the average reef tank/by the average marine hobbyist or being unsustainable.

Primary objective of this list is to raise awareness for a responsible, ethical and sustainable hobby and trade by giving a second thought and considering potential difficulties when making a purchase choice. Thus in the first instance we would like to reach out to marine hobbyists, providing another tool to make an educated choice. We appeal to hobbyists and industry alike to use their buying power to lower the demand for species doomed to die in captivity or being under threat already, thus putting unnecessary pressure on natural resources.

The list of unsuitable & unsustainable species is not meant to ban those species totally from trade. However, we encourage the trade to import those species only on special request from buyers with the proven capability to keep the requested species, for breeding purposes and/or for research.

It is not an exhaustive list and covers fish only at the moment. We will update and extend the list over time.

Also format and criteria are still subject to discussion.

So we invite you all to actively participate in developing this list!

We look forward to your comments, suggestions and ideas...

Kind regards,

Christiane

PeterIMA

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Christiane Schmidt did a mortality study as part of an MS Thesis in Germany, tracing the survival of fish from Goris in northern Bali to an export facility in Denpasar (Bali, Indonesia). Her paper was published in the Live Reef Fish Information Bulletin No. 13 (available online). She then became the European reprentative of the MAC and got many European retailers to join MAC. She resigned from MAC about 3 years ago. About a year ago, she helped form SAIA around similar issues. I wish Christiane and SAIA well.

Peter Rubec

A

Anonymous

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
PeterIMA":3egj7vog said:
Christiane Schmidt did a mortality study as part of an MS Thesis in Germany, tracing the survival of fish from Goris in northern Bali to an export facility in Denpasar (Bali, Indonesia). Her paper was published in the Live Reef Fish Information Bulletin No. 13 (available online). She then became the European reprentative of the MAC and got many European retailers to join MAC. She resigned from MAC about 3 years ago. About a year ago, she helped form SAIA around similar issues. I wish Christiane and SAIA well.

Peter Rubec

Sounds like another grant chaser given the list she just put out. I remember her quite clearly FWIW>

clarionreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
COLLECTORS' TRAINING
....the training of marine onrmantal collectors in Indonesia...
Coming soon!

Good ! Its about time the onrmantal collectors got trained.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: