A

Anonymous

I started running GFO from Bulk Reef Supply in a new reactor last week. Over the past 3 days I've noticed a light bloom of dinoflagellates on my sand. Anyone run into this? I had hoped that the GFO would help decrease some turf algae but was not anticipating this dinoflagellate bloom.

Any thoughts? I'm planning on significantly decreasing my photoperiod for a few days. Previous posts have mentioned increasing pH to fight this. I don't dose calk, but instead use 2 part B-ionic. I'm not sure how I could use this to safely increase pH.

I'm open to any other suggestions.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This actually happened to me too, but I couldn't positively attribute it to the BRS GFO. But right now, I have a really bad dino problem that I still can't kick, even after removing the GFO.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To increase your pH with 2 part, just add the alk portion. The ca will dip, but nothing that is devastating. Kalk is a good way too, as you know. But I gotta say, elevated pH has not worked for me. I'm thinking about going 3 full days without lights, fully covered tank.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three days of lights out and the dinos seem to be gone. I am now slowly ramping up my photoperiod.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: