• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

goby2

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody! Im new to this site and I hope you guys can give me some good ideas. I have a 220g tank with a 60g sump that just finished cycling. I am on a budget but I need a good protein skimmer. I bought a 1320gph pump on ebay and it should be here soon. There are no space restrictions, but the ceiling is about 8'.Should I make a downdraft or a venturi skimmer.any suggestions are welcome. Thanks![/list]

usafjapan

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from what i hear beckett injectors are the way to go. i just recieved mine a couple days ago for ebay for $25.00. but that all i can help you with because im currently making one for a 300g.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check myreefcreations.com Andy sells beckets if that is the way you want to go.

goby2

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everybody! I think I may have to get a stronger pump for the skimmer. Oh well, I can always use the pump for more water flow.

goby2

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hooked up the beckett. It produces an amazing amount of foam. I put the beckett inside a 1'' expansion copupling and t fits perfectly. It is so easy to adjust the airflow. All I did was drill a hole in the side of the coupling and screw in an air valve. Using the original pump works just fine. I might even try two injectors.

goby2

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if a beckett can work under pressure? my skimmer will be 6' tall. could I mount the beckett at the bottom or would it have to be 6' up?

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having the beckett up around the level you plan to run the water in the main body of the skimmer would be best IMO (or slightly higher). Having it lower will mean there will be more back-pressure on the injector (head pressure from water column) and you'll need a stronger pump to get similar performance.

goby2

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got everthing siliconed and it is drying now. I,ll test it out tonighnt and let you know how it works. I'll post pics later if I can.

LA-Lawman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey, someone get this Goby2 guy a camera.... how dare he make a skimmer and not share pics.... Sheesh, what's with these new reef guys! :D 8)

Pics please, pics, u r killing ME! :)

jsaulter

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first post so bare with me. This it the beckett skimmer I made for my 180. It is about 4.5 feet tall 6 inch body and cost about $150 to make. I think that is a bargin compaired to a store bought skimmer. What do you guys think about it. I hope to test the new desighn tonight.

Attachments

• 2-04-07 002 (360 x 540).jpg
    2-04-07 002 (360 x 540).jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 3,008

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: