JennM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave the powerhead in it. If I'm doing a maintenance, the water mixes for only an hour or so, I start it mixing when I first arrive, and the water change is the last thing I do after I algae-wipe, clean skimmer, prune caulerpa, chat with my customer, etc!

At home, the water mixes anywhere from an hour to a week...if I've left it to mix more than a day or so, I'm sure to check SG because often it evaporates in the meantime. In that case, I top off with fresh RO, and let it mix a bit longer, then check the SG and use.

Jenn

H@rry

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ed - I do a 5 gall change every weekend on a 190 and 225. I put the water in buckets on Saturday, dump the salt in, stir it real good and let it sit overnight for the water change on Sunday. When I pour it in I see a few flakes that didn't dissolve but it never seems to hurt anything. I know this is not the recommended procedure but I guess that my change is such a small percentage of the total volume that I get away with it.

JennM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harry, you're right...small percentage and probably doesn't make much difference. The bigger the tank, the more forgiving it is.

IMO the same procedure on a smaller tank would potentially cause parameter fluctuations.

Jenn

DaktariEd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you mix up a quantity of SW to use for water changes, etc., do you simply let the water stand in the barrel (and agitate before using it) or do you keep it agitated full time with a powerhead?

Does it make a difference?

Ed
icon_smile.gif

Matt2112

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let mine mix for at least a day with the powerhead running non-stop. Not sure if it makes a huge difference, but it can't hurt! Are you using RO/DI???
icon_biggrin.gif

trybka

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a 3 gal change every Saturday in my 35 g. I mix the new salt on Sunday and let it agitate with a powerhead the whole week. I do this because I read (r. fenner) it's best to age the water. Don't think it hurts.
icon_cool.gif

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let mine agitate in my container for about 2 days, I go by what Bob Fenner says on this.
I dont really know if it makes a difference, I wonder if there are any tests that have been performed on this?
Steve

KenH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix about 10 gallons each weekend for my 225. I just drop a maxijet 1200 power head and a heater in a rubbermaid tub, dump in the salt and mix everything for about 1 hour or until the temperature comes up to that of the tank. I also do a last check and adjustment on the salinity towards the end. I've done up to a 30% water change this way on smaller tanks without any problems. When I have tested the pH, calcium & alkalinity, all parameters seemed to be normal within an hour.

I have never seen any benefit to mixing longer personally, but it certainly can't hurt as long as your container doesn't leach stuff into the water. I've always tried to avoid leaving RO/DI water or salt water in holding containers for too long that were not specifically made of aquarium use.

--- Ken

JohnD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make up about 20 gallons of RO water in a food-safe RubberMaid can on a dolly. Then I roll it over to where I have the powerhead and salt and mix it all up. I have a lid, so my evaporation is nil. I usually make up the water a few days before the water change and I keep the powerhead running constantly.

HTH

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: