marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
It will help but it doesn't get rid of the Ich. For it to fully work you would need all of the Ich to past through it, and in a tank with things like rocks and such it's very hard for that to happen. It does also help with the overall health of a tank, so it's not a bad thing to add. As for size, watts, you need to check the spec of the unit.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
+1. Check out emperor aquatics and or aqua ultraviolet. Size the uv and flow rate accordingly for your tank and to kill parasites. Imo use a seperate pump for the uv and size it for the specific range(flow rate) you need. Don't "tee" off another pump unless you can and or willing to figure out your flow rate through the unit. Too much or too little flow isn't going to help you.

jvu61

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will help but it doesn't get rid of the Ich. For it to fully work you would need all of the Ich to past through it, and in a tank with things like rocks and such it's very hard for that to happen. It does also help with the overall health of a tank, so it's not a bad thing to add. As for size, watts, you need to check the spec of the unit.
+2 I run an 80 watt in my 300

fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I run a 25w Aqua UV in my 80g and I can say that besides the health benefits wen it comes to parasites, the overall water clarity in the tank is incredibly clear and within a day or two, you'll see a visible difference in the water clarity. I run mine off my return pump manifold. My return pump is a Jebao DC 6000 and I run it at 1/2 power and regulate the flow through the UV with a ball valve. I run the output of the UV back into the first section of my sump, with the Protien Skimmer, as to hopefully remove anything that the UV may have nuked, before being returned back to the DT. Theoretically, nothing alive and beneficial in the tank lives free floating in the water, therefore anything killed by the UV is likely to be bad.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: