heylauren

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hi all,

I've been contemplating dosing since I added a derasa clam and have some decent sps growth as of recent...

It's a 120gallon reef with a 65 gallon sump. I mix IO Reef Crystals.

I only own an API test kit, so I don't test often considering I hear bad things about the accuracy regarding PH and such.

Is B-Ionic any good?

I tried searching, but the last thread I found was from several years ago, I'm thinking B-Ionic might be old news now?

Thanks!

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
B ionic is pretty good a lot of people use it. More cost effective is the BRS additives or DIY recipes. Before you decide to dose, it would be better to test and measure your consumption. Salifert seems to be the most popular or the red sea pro kits. Report back when you have some good numbers. Theres a nice sticky in the chemistry forum for how to get started.

TonyHNY

Back from a break
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Yes, you should consider dosing since your SPS and clam will consume the Alk and Ca for growth. Unless you do enough water changes to compensate for the loss or adding kalk.

B-Ionic is still on the market and they are more expensive. I've been using the BRS 2 part (and Mg). If you don't mind mixing 2.5 cups of CaCl to 1 gal of RODI water and 2 cups of NaCO3 to 1 Gal of water, this is probably the best way to go.

irvp13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Same here, I use BRS and once you have it dialed down to your corals consumption you just have to monitor every once in a while.

You need some reliable test to start and patience to dial it down.
good luck setting it up!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: