FishyLovers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm trying to set up my first ATO system and I need to pump water 46" from the reservoir to the top of my tank.
What pump would be able to do the job?
I was thinking to buy a peristaltic dosing pump, but I don't know how it works. Can I leave the pump by the reservoir and just run tubing up to the tank? Or does the pump have to be mounted above the outlet?
This is what I'm looking to buy
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S0HQJSC/?tag=reefs04-20

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Not sure if this will pump to that height. Does not seem like there is any info here. If it does work, you will want to make sure there is a gap between the end of the hose and the water in the tank. If not you risk causing a siphon and emptying the tank. I cant speak for this specific pump but in general peristaltic pumps can pump water up into a container. Not sure if that is what you mean but pump mounted above the outlet. obviously you should keep water clear of electrical outlets and use drip loops.

FishyLovers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Nope no sump (I use a traditional canister filter with live rock in the tank for filtration.)
Does a dosing pump have to be placed higher than where the water is coming out of it?
Or can I put the dosing pump by the bottom of the tank and lift the tube to the top of the tank ?

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Whichever way you do it, make sure you use it with a float valve/float sensor to shut off the water source when your tank reaches the correct water level, otherwise you might be dosing 1 liter a day when you evaporate 900ml. It'll add up over time and eventually overflow, or the reverse

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: