jbjints1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
You will need a Diamond cut drill bit to drill your tank, I don't see a problem with you drilling the side or the back of the tank. Be careful when you do drill your tank. Try getting a estimate from your LFS to see how much they would charge. I am almost certain that diamonc cut bits are not cheap. Good Luck. Hope this helps.

Joe

faztaz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yeah I know diamond bit is the recommended tool but they are expensive (like you said). The LFS charges about 20 per hole and I need at least 5 or 6 so thats about the price of a new tank. I was also thinking of building a sump out of acrylic but I can't afford a leak especially with 40+g of water.

cerreta

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just battled this dilema. Wow, that's alot of holes. Try to redesign your system using less holes. The diamond bits run $150.00 and up. You would also need a super high quality drill press. I would not attempt to drill this free hand. The standard hole size is 1.75 inch for a 1 inch bulkhead fitting, which is common. I took my tank to a local custom glass shop. It was the first tank they every drilled. They charged me $25.00 but I think you can bargain with them, since it is such a specialty item, and you would be doing 5-6 holes. My bet is they would charge you one hour labor, $55.00. As for drilling the tank, be sure that it is not tempered glass. Most bottoms are made of tempered glass, but the side walls are not. Tempered glass would shatter violently when any drill bit contacts it, even a diamond bit. You should be able to call the manufacturer of the aquarium for specifics on glass drilling.
Good luck,
Scott
icon_eek.gif

faztaz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Im planning on using an All Glass 45g or 40g breeder for the sump in my 120g reef system. What kind of bit should I use and can I drill the sides and back of the tank?? Thanks in advance!!! Also I was planning on using some ball valves for the pump intakes and was wondering if downwards or sideways pressure from turning the knob on the valve could possible crack the glass??

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: