• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

afss

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how difficult is it to drill a tank for an overflow or return? what is needed, what are the chances of success versus tank meltdown from a crack ?
thanks

jaydse

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do it ! the special bit is diamond cost like 100.00 & your still taking a chance in cracking it /take it somewere let them do it. i drilled 10 20gal tanks broke 4 but i was learning still wol'nt do it to my main tank i'll suffer with no loud slurping sump.

srbayless

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

Is your question regarding glass or acrylic. Glass is a ***** to drill, while acrylic is a snap.

Glass is hard enough to drill that most places that do it, won't warranty the tank. If they crack the tank while they are drilling, you're screwed.

Now, acrylic is very easy and can be done several ways. I use a router with a 4 fluted straight bit to cut large holes in my tanks. For smaller holes, say less than 2", I use regualar carbide hole-saws hooked upto my dewalt drill.

The key to acrylic is to go slow so you won't "snag" the material and cause chipping or overheating.

Good luck,

Scott.

TYRYFIN

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have drilled tanks and if you have the proper set up its pretty easy. There is a guy that has been on ebay selling the drill bits for a real good price. I purchased one from him and it worked great. You also need to know if the tank has tempered glass. You can not drill tempered glass. Usually the bottom is the tempered one but this is not always true. Be careful

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: