JoeJawz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Manhattan Reefs. I have had a 75 gallon reef tank for about 3 years now. Around last December I left for about a week, putting my faith in an electronic feeder (I can already sense you cringing). When I came back, I was horrified. The feeder had completely failed, and was still spinning. Inside my tank was a thick fog. Beneath the feeder is a pile of decomposing food. My sleeper goby and one of my PJ Cardinals had died. Along with every. single. coral. in. my. tank. By some miracle my Sailfin Tang, Six Line Wrasse, and other Cardinal survived. Even with the ungodly high amonia.

Fast forward one year (and countless water changes) later. I got another Goby, two mini carpet anemones, a rock covered in green star polyps, and a small red mushroom coral. I am starting to slowly bring my tank back to what it was. I recently purchased 40 pounds of dry rock. I put it into a 10 gallon bucket where I usually prep my water for water changes. I put in salt water, a heater, and a small filter. I also put a blue light (It grows Coralline algae better) over it. Once I get the parameters right, I will put a rock from my own tank in with the new rocks. I will let these new ricks settle for a week of two.

Is there anything else I can do to prepare there rocks for their addition to my tank?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I wouldn't run the light, as all it's going to do at this point is cause some type of unwanted algae growth on the rocks. Outside of that you're on the right path. I would do a water change before you place the LR in the tank, that was any phosphates in the LR will be removed.

JoeJawz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advise. But the light is a very dim, dark blue. Could it ever cause algae growth? I didnt know any algaes other than coralline could grow at that spectrum.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: