jmc1024

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased about 20 frags about a month and a half ago. My duncan was doing really well as it was extending nicely. However the last couple of weeks it hasn't been opening much. I've tried moving it around a little to see if it would like another spot. I have it close to the bottom with less than moderate flow. All of my other corals are doing well and my chemistry is all pretty good. Any thoughts?

Gravity 1.25
PH- 8.4
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
Calcium 440
Mg 1410
Kh/Alk 8.4

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
do you have clowns? or any other type of fish that could be nipping it. i had the same problem, try putting it in a container apart from your stock, let it rest n see what happens. i eventually put it in a solo cup inside the tank isolated. now, its opened up and looking great, no solo cup anymore and no more clown nipping. :)

jmc1024

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have an flame angel but I don't think that he's the prob. Bkstang, I think it might be the hermit crabs. Just moved him to a better location where crabs won't be all over him. Thanks.

The Nooob, if this doesn't work i'm going to try your solo cup idea, do you leave the top of the cup open or cover with plastic wrap?? Guess you could even use a clear plastic cup? I assume the fish have a harder time disturbing the coral?

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I do have an flame angel but I don't think that he's the prob. Bkstang, I think it might be the hermit crabs. Just moved him to a better location where crabs won't be all over him. Thanks.

The Nooob, if this doesn't work i'm going to try your solo cup idea, do you leave the top of the cup open or cover with plastic wrap?? Guess you could even use a clear plastic cup? I assume the fish have a harder time disturbing the coral?

made holes around the whole solo cup, i used the clear plastic. make sure its solo so its durable enough and clear so you can see the duncan from outside lol.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: