Mooka151

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Duncan with about 15 heads. The coral is beautiful and healthy looking during the day. When I look at it at night there are heads at the top only, that are showing stn. The photo where it looks heathy was taken after the photo where you can see the tissue loss. I just don?t get it, it looks amazing during the day but when it closes up at night I can see the tissue loss, it?s been slowly happening for about 2 months. I do not see anything messing with it during the day, I will peresodically check on it through the night (using red light) and have never seen anything on it. I also will feed directly 1-2 times a week, she readily takes food.
Not sure if I should just let it run it?s course, try a dip or frag off the affected area. Anyone seen this before ? Will this spread to the rest of the colonie?

Thanks for any input

90 gal tank with 35 gal sump
Water perameters:
Temp - 77-78
Alkalinity - 8.5-9 DKH Hanna
Calcium - 417 Red Sea
Mag - 1400 Red Sea
Salinity - 35 apex and refactometer
Pos - .02 - .00 Hanna
Ph - 8.1-8.24 apex
Nitrate - 1.2 api
Nitrite - 0 api
Lights - Kissel Ap-700 at 40%

Mooka151

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6C132519-5C5C-48CD-9F3E-0287FC8C9911.jpg

7B11ED64-66E1-419B-AE66-EDBAB0DFCD7E.jpg

SteveZz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
The only time I've seen something like this was when it got stung by another coral. Your params seem good to me so I don't think that's the issue. Is there a chance something stung it? Although it'd be a strange spot to get stung based on the pic.

I'd watch it close and if it looks like it's spreading I would frag it. Duncan's do pretty well with fragging so I don't think it's a danger to try if it gets worse.

meherbas

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
IMO could be the polyps are clustered together reducing the amount of light that the tissue between the polyps get. Happened to my Duncan, when the extending polyps would consistently shadow each other some tissue would recede but I never lost a polyp. If it ever got to that point I?d just frag it.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
IMO could be the polyps are clustered together reducing the amount of light that the tissue between the polyps get. Happened to my Duncan, when the extending polyps would consistently shadow each other some tissue would recede but I never lost a polyp. If it ever got to that point I?d just frag it.

+1

I see this with a small sps frag...the parts under its own shadow are bleached out and the polyp extension is less.

Mooka151

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having somewhat limited experience, I was confused because of how beautiful, full and healthy she looks when lights are on, only when retracted at night is the retracted tissue seen. But it being shadowed does make sense as nothing is within stinging reach and everything else in the tank is doing great. Do you guys think it will alter its growth patern like a small tree would in the shadow of a larger tree ? Or will those heads eveltually die off?
Thanks again for the info, feel better knowing it?s not some type of Duncan killing virus.

Mooka151

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, I let it run its course for 4-5 days and completely lost all heads on the effected branch, then the skin on the trunk started to peel. Ended up fragging it in attempt to save the remaining 60%. It has since bounced back and looking better than ever, sprouting new heads regularly. One thing I did notice, when I fragged it, it put off a SMELL.... that literally filled the room. Assuming it was rotting flesh, was surprised with how something so small could put off something so strong.

Thanks for all the advice.

SteveZz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Update, I let it run its course for 4-5 days and completely lost all heads on the effected branch, then the skin on the trunk started to peel. Ended up fragging it in attempt to save the remaining 60%. It has since bounced back and looking better than ever, sprouting new heads regularly. One thing I did notice, when I fragged it, it put off a SMELL.... that literally filled the room. Assuming it was rotting flesh, was surprised with how something so small could put off something so strong.

Thanks for all the advice.

Smell is probably the rotting flesh as you said. In any case it's great to hear the coral recovered.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: