Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
ok so ive always had stray electricity in my tank but idk where its coming from because i bite my nails alot and when i bite it to far it gets very sensitive so when i stick my finger in the tank i can feel a sharp sting and no its not the salt making it sting because i have another tank and it doesn't sting in that one and also if i just get a cup and take the water out it wont sting. and coming from the tank its like a really sharp sting like i know its electricity. so will fish be able to handle that. i also tried unplugging the stuff one by one to figure out which one it was but after like 30 seconds i just get used to it and i cant figure out if the sting goes away or not so idk which plug is releasing stray electricity. now today was really bad. i accidentally knocked my refugium light into the water and it literally exploded i just had a natural reaction to try to catch it before it hit the water and when my hand was in the water it really was like sticking my hand in an outlet so that was a real powerful shock and the whole socket of the light shot out and it shorted out the plug on my reefkeeper elite so now one of the plugs is broken and the circuit wont shut off. so my question is will the coral and fish live with that huge shock they just got and will they continue to live with the small amount of stray electricity because it is only felt by sensitive skin and no one else but me can feel it because im the only one who bites his nails.

T

THEDLO

Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
its not electricity cause ud feel it regardless of cuticles. ask the wife to put her hand in the tank and if she feels it then uve got a problem. and if not its all in ur head lol :splitspin

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a volt meter VOM/Multi-meter and attach the neg lead to the screw that holds the wall socket cover on and put positive end in water. If it reads a few volts, 5, 10, 25 V it is not an issue. If it reads high 60, 80 or more you have a problem. That low voltage is NOT real voltage but de-coupled voltage produced by EM waves ( such as those from heaters, pumps, etc.) that all equipment puts out, even equipment near the tank or outlets near the tank even if nothing is plugged into them. Or get a piece of wire and put one end on the socket outlet screw and the other in the tank water and see if you still get shocked.

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Are you using a titanium or stainless steel heater? If so you should have a grounding probe in your tank or sump. I've also read that the Seio pumps are prone to putting out stray voltages out into the tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: