• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Joey1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for feedback on this skimmer as I am interested in ordering it later this week.I am interested in seeing how well it performs,as it will be a replacement for another skimmer I bought as an ill informed purchase. I just didn't know any better(newbie).It will be for my 55 gallon,20 gallon sump,softy tank,I am new to the hobby,and per their comparison table seems to be ample,and in my price range
icon_rolleyes.gif
Any comments appreciated,don't want to have to buy third skimmer for this setup...
icon_sad.gif
Joey

joeyipsc

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Joey
I have myself and in order for it to perform well, I had to modify it with a "Beckett" injector. after that was done, then it started performing well. If you do not to make changes to it, go with a Precision Marine Bullet1 or AquaC's EV-150. (I have an EV-150 and it basically works the same way as my modified RD-3. my pump is dolphin 1200 submersible.

joeyipsc

My Home Page
icon_razz.gif

cerreta

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought this skimmer and it has been up for 1.5 weeks. It produces good foam in the column, but somewhat wet. The manufacture recommends a 2 week break in period before messing around with it. It is hard to be patient for that long. Anyhow, I am running it on an 80gal AGA with 20 gal sump and get 4 tank turnovers. You should get 5-6 tank turnovers with the supplied pump. I am running my skimmer outside the sump and it recieves all the water flow coming from the main aquarium via a lil giant 2mdq pump. I used the "Skimmer Mathematics" to determine my actual flow output through the exit pipe of the skimmer at 327 gph. The recommended output is 300 gph for this skimmer.
Hey man, for great info, check out the ETSS website and mathematics briefing at: www.superskimmer.com

The problem I am having with this pump is the amount of micro bubbles being pushed into the sump. Even with a series of three baffles, bubbles remain and get sucked up into the main tank. Does anyone have suggestions for eliminating this? Could it be my design that is causing so many bubbles? I know the skimmer is designed to be used with the supplied in sump Rio 1800, but I did not want to cluter the sump.

joeyipsc

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cerreta.
This models, for whatever reason, do make a lot bubbles. try putting a sponge before the intake of the return pump or at the output tube of the ETTS. But what I did observe was, after 5 to 8 weeks, all the bubbles seems to dissapear.
icon_wink.gif

My Home Page

drcarr

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running my RD with a rio 2100. Unless i keep the riser tube very clean it wont foam to the top. Anyone else have this? How often do you all clean your tubes or coll. cups? I also have a rio 2500 used for return to my 70gal. from my sump. Should I use the 2500 for the skimmer and the 2100 for return or leave it the way it is?

Joey1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies,I have been doing research on this skimmer and others,but unless someone gives me a pretty bad opinion,I will be ordering this model...Thanks,cerreta,the link you gave is where I got most of the persuasive info that swung me in the direction of this model,I was just not sure because it was the company's info and I wanted some other people's experience,I am new...
icon_rolleyes.gif
joeyipsc,What does this modification entail,is it involved or expensive?also,what were the reasons for the change?I don't want to purchase another object to fix on a regular basis...Any other comments?
icon_smile.gif
Joey

joeyipsc

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joey
If you are set into getting a ETSS Rd3, then modifiying the skimmer with a beckett will increase it's performance. I would reference you to a site by Richard Durso (www.rl180reef.com) and look at this fantastic site. look into filtration and into skimmers. he has a very well laid out plan on how to modify your skimmer. (although he has a bigger model but the same concepts apply).

my 02 cents worth. My Home Page
icon_wink.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: