Cvaughn1062

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
hey im having problems with my ev120 skimmer , I chose to run it externally with a mag 7 pump in the return pump chamber, I but a 4-5 inch notch out of the side of the acrylic sump so the skimmer kind of hangs on the return nozzle about 4-5 inches lower than the top of the sump, and made a 5 inch tall stand for the ev120. now the mag 7 pump should be more than enough to power this skimmer but for some reason it wont, is the problem that I elevated the skimmer 5 inches? the bottom of the skimmer is level with the water line in the sump, any help or advice would be great

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Don't run it externally. Whatever you do, don't run it externally. If the skimmer goes nuts and overflows, you'll lose all of your sump water. Unless you have a waste collector with an auto shut-off, you should not run it externally. If you have a waste collector with an auto shut-off, you're still taking a chance.

Cvaughn1062

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
ok so I need to run it externally, Im using a rs100 sump and the sump box is a refugium I cant for the life of me figure out why a mag 7 wont bring the foam up the neck any ideas, the bottom of the skimmer is 3 inches below the water line the pump is on full blast and the output isn't restricted at all

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
ok so I need to run it externally, Im using a rs100 sump and the sump box is a refugium I cant for the life of me figure out why a mag 7 wont bring the foam up the neck any ideas, the bottom of the skimmer is 3 inches below the water line the pump is on full blast and the output isn't restricted at all

Those skimmers take a little while to break in. Is it a completely new, or recently cleaned skimmer?

If you have to run it externally, put it in a basin with a float or leak switch that will shut the pump down if it overflows.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: