johnnyj3089

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hey, I was wondering if someone can clarify to me the real difference between chinese LEDs that cost about $150 and expensive LEDs like the ecotech gen4 that cost $600+. Right now on my 57 rimless I'm using LEDs i bought on ebay, I'll post the link below. I've had no problem with my coral, every piece in my tank continues to grow and seem to be doing great. Is it really worth it to spend the money and upgrade and buy better lights?

Link to lights I'm using now:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300W-LED-Aq...soffType=SaleAndClearence&_trksid=p5731.m3795

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
I just wrote up a big thing about this to post here, but had a site error and lost it all. But in summary what i was saying is...

The Chinese LED units tend to use older model led chips, or ones by lesser known name brands. Also these lights tend to use lower quality housings, lenses, dimming drivers and have far inferior UIs.

On the other hand the higher end units try to keep up with technology and innovate. So you will see new features on these higher end lights that you arent yet seeing in the chinese lights (such as the new HEI lenses). Plus these companies use the most recent LED chips made by the most well known brands such as CREE. In addition to this they put more design into their lights to make the units look visually appealing, they user higher quality lenses, higher quality dimmers, and most importantly have much easier to use interfaces. And another important difference is warranty.

With that said, the chinese lights should be able to grow coral just as well as higher end LEDs, although some coloration may not be as great depending on the chinese unit and what wavelengths it is using.

Bottom line, if you like what your lights are doing for your tank, why change them out?

johnnyj3089

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Your post went through on my other thread. I appreciate your response, Ill probably just stick with the leds I have for now because everything in my tank seems happy.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: