SaltWaterN00b

\/\/h47 @ n00b !!!
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I have a biocube 29 that is getting a little warm. The top of the biocube had vent holes on the cover and I plan on hooking up two pc fans to it. Now should I point them both inward, outward or one in and one out? What would be the best cooling option using this method?

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Problem that I always find with blowing outward is that the fans have a shorter life due to the humid air drawn but you might not encounter this if your fan slots are situated within the acrylic cover enclosure.
If this is the scenerio, do as Widdy suggested. This will decrease any gunk that will end up on the insides of the acrylic enclosure.
(If the fan slots were open to the tank surface, then I would blow downwards to conduct a more effective evaporative cooling method)

Last edited:

SaltWaterN00b

\/\/h47 @ n00b !!!
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Mr. Warren! How have you been?! Probably dont remember me I bought my first tank lighting from you in like 06 lol! But yes there is 2 places i can mount them on the cover. Since i posted this i adjusted my media a little bit so there is more of a waterfall effect going on and it seems to be holding between 77.4 and 77.8 and thats with no heater on.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I have a 4" computer fan on my lights and for flow, as long as they don't blow against each other, the heat will vent out, meaning 1 goes in and 1 goes out. You might find that only 1 fan is enough as long as there is only one opposite opening, air will move though the whole fixture . As for which direction to aim, it doesn't matter for cooling. Though I find that salty air will be drawn out, so it can rust out your fan on the exhaust side, so in my setup, the fan draws in fresh dry air from outside the tank, and blows it in, even though the now hot air is blowing onto the water surface.
This actually causes a better evaporative cooling then when I had the air blowing out, but like I said earlier, the salt was corroding the fan, so I had to flip it around.

PS, when you install your fans, it'll be more effective if you can cut out a full size vent instead of using the holes.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: