DBW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott,

How do these fish behave when you have a larger school of them? Do they tend to hang out together, or will they split into several groups? This is assuming you have one male with females and a large enough tank to keep them.

orectolobus

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I've never seen them form large shoals in the wild, they may do so in the aquarium if provided with adequate space. As my article says, they do form larger shoals in some locations, although I've only observed them in smaller groups in the wild. The most I've ever seen in one aquarium is three. They did form a loose group.

Hope that helps!

skylsdale

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott, it's nice to finally see some media on this fish! The two pages in Reef Fishes Vol. 1 can only be read so many times...;) I've been planning a deep-water tank for months now, and hope to have a trio of Fatheads (along with a few assessors) inhabiting the tank.

Coming from deeper waters, I assume they are more comfortable with cooler temps. However, you say that they also do fairly well in tanks replicating shallow areas of the reef, which usually have temps around 80-82*F. I have seen them in these types of tanks as well, and they appeared perfectly healthy. Would you say that temperature is a huge factor in maintaining them?

I have also been thinking lately about breeding possibilities with this fish. Do you know of ANY information regarding their breeding habits?

Thanks. [/i]

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott,
Do you believe juveniles of this species have a better chance of survival in captivity? The Fathead makes a pretty common appearance locally and my investigations and own experience persuade me to beleive younger (or possibly smaller fish or even female)fish fair better.
Your thoughts.

orectolobus

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Fellow Fathead Fanatics:

Nothing has been published on the reproductive behavior of this little gem. Like other anthias, it is probably a pelagic spawner (even though it differs from most other anthias in its behavioral characteristics).

In most cases, I think acquiring a smaller, less mature fish will aid in acclimation. I also think smaller individuals tend to ship better than larger conspecifics. (Note: in some species, tiny individuals tend to be less hardy.)

Good luck!!!

orectolobus

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I forgot to mention temperature:

I think the low 80's is fine! In fact, I am sure they will do OK in the mid-80's, it will just mean having to feed them more to keep them plump. It is regularly found at these types of temps in the wild.

Thanks again for the interest!!! Let me know how it goes!!!!!!!

delbeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen this fish on several occassions while diving in Palau. The first time was in 1997. They were exactly as Scott described, reclusive and hiding under overhangs and in small caves at depths from about 80-130 feet (deepest I went). What is interesting was that I dove at the same reef two years later. This was a year after the massive coral bleaching event that ocurred there, water temps at that depth were now in the low 80's, there was less coral (most had died) and less fish ... but the fatheads were still there but now, instead of hiding in crevices they were seen actually out in the open, swimming about a few feet from the bottom, much more commonly seen now then two years prior. My conclusion was that the lack of larger more active species of fish,. allowed them to become bolder and venture out into the water column. They did not form large schools like other anthias do, they formed more of a continuous loosely formed group.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: