• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Those of you that keep them, what is the favorite food of your yellow tail blue/regal/hippo tang? I feed mine brine, form one, and sea weed selects. Seems to prefer the brine. What do you feed?

RLTW

Kelp

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 hippo tangs eat about anything that will stay still long enough. Flakes, Seaweed selects (green), brine shrimp, plankton, even a turbo snail that got too close to the powerhead,when discovered by me and removed, the shell came off, the snail went thru the powerhead, and WE HAD A FEEDING FRENZY! Thats kinda hard on the snail, but all the tangs in my tank seemed pleased.
icon_biggrin.gif

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are very spoiled with a variety of foods. Sometimes I throw in some peas, but they eat pretty much any of the marine delights, nori, etc.

Nathan1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Tang Heaven" - This stuff is like cat nip! They go NUTS!

I get my tang heaven from the atlantic ocean when I go swimming. I keep some in my sump and it grows very slowly.

-Nathan

Jimmy G

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine will eat anything and never seems to get enough. I feed a varity. Formula 1 and 2 , frozen Brine and Mysis shrimp, Prime Reef frozen and flake and formula 2 flakes. Oh yeah and some seaweed selects too. Great fish, my personal favorite.

Alex_78745

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*laugh*

Anything that can fit in their mouth, seems like. Nori, Prime Reef 1 and 2, frozen brine, frozen tube worms and they especially love my homemade food made from squid, octopuss, nori, coral-vite, clam, mussels and shrimp.

JohnD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine Formula 1 and 2, Prime Reef, Angel Formula, Seaweed Selects (red, brown and green).

Occassionally he gets blanched broccolli, live brine shrimp and live blood worms. Nothing lasts long in the tank with LeRoy around.

Frozen foods are thawed with Selcon added.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure it gets enough protein. Brine shrimp is sort of like fish candy -- it doesn't have a lot of nutrients. Macroalgae is definitely appreciated. Some have trouble digesting food and gradually starve while spitting it out. I think these ones have been cyanide collected.

fishtalk

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will eat everything, but it's important they get both veg and meat based food. I make my own frozen cubes.

Freaked

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my Hippo frozen algae, frozen angel formula, frozen blood worms, Prime Reef flakes, Nori, seaweed selects(green), Formula 1, and Krill pellets. I soak all foods in either Selcon,Zoe.,Vitachem or garlic. Let me just say hes starting to look like a HIPPO.Hes so fat LOL

Eboman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a search and cannot find it.

About a year ago, someone posted in here and said that they had done research on hippo tangs and they actually eat plankton in the wild (as opposed to lots of algae).

I've never tried it, but you may want to experiment with some frozen plankton in the diet (it can't hurt).

Hope that helps,
Eboman

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought mine when it was about 1/2" long I think a year ago. It is fat and happy and about 3" long now. It gets fed Formula 1 (doesn't like formula 2), Formula VHP (very high protein -- helps if your tank is looking thin, which is common after shipping), Prime Reef, which is mostly krill, Formula 1 flake soaked in selcon, selcon-soaked frozen brine shrimp, and macroalgae and microalgae that grow in my tank. The more varied the diet the better. I have a refugium that probably supplies any plankton it might want. Selcon is a great thing to supplement the food with.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: