TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
yea exactly canister will make your nitrates go through the roof they are only good for fresh water where the nitrate level can be a bit higher def sump it. Not to mention Fluvals are a pain in the azz to start. The only filter in the world that comes with a DVD to show you how to use it lol

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
DAV- a wet/dry is a filter that the water drains out of the tank onto a drip tray, goes through some bio balls then under the section of bio balls the water goes through a filter sponge and then the next section is where the return pump goes some have the sections done so you can put a skimmer then have the sponge that is supposed to act as a bubble diffuser to get rid of the micro bubbles from the skimmer then the section where the return pump goes

A sump is a multi chambered tank that the first chamber is the inlet where the drain goes to a filter sock. Then the second chamber can be used as a refugium or a section to put a skimmer in. Then theres a bubble trap before the return chamber to catch the micro bubbles by making the water go over the first baffle, then under the second which is raised an inch or so off the bottom forcing the water to go downward and the bubbles float so they never make it to the return chamber. Then theres a third baffle low like the first that the water flows over into the return chamber and gets returned to the display tank. In the return chamber you have the return pump and pumps that your reactors use and the plumbing for the reactors is ran from and back to the chamber.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

knockout

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
it will help to understand your system a bit better, what equipment you already have, I have known of reef system successfully kept with canisters although not recommended it does not mean you cannot use them, proper maintenance of the filter is key, as mentioned above, filter SHOULD be cleaned every time you do a water change to keep nitrates from concentration on the filter pads, if you have not purchase these equipment a easier to clean and deal with option is also the hang on back filters and skimmer being the optimum solution there are some hang on back options for these as well and no need of a sump if one is not in the plans, if one is then an in sump is much better for aesthetics purposes

OOtzie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I'm justing asking because I have so many canister filters on hand (fluval 403-404-405), all given to me as payment for demo work :banghead:. SO in laments terms, you can use it but the sponge must be cleaned at ever water change ? I thought the sponge needed to be cleaned at every water change anway

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
ill behonest... on my last system i ran a fx5 on my 120g reef bc it wasnt a rr tank and i kept loosing syphen on the pos hob overflow... i cleaned the pads every 3-4 weeks and the media every 2 mo... never had a nitrate problem...i also only did abt 15-20% water changes every other week

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Would a fluval 405 be overkill/cause cause problems for a 20-30 gal reef setup?

POwer/canister filters are generally viewed as something more for freshwater or temporary saltwater use (say, during display at a swap) than for permanant reef use. While there are some people who apparently use them successfully, they're rare on reef aquaria. There're a number of reasons, but basically it comes down to the fact that they can become nitrate factories, and because if they go anoxic during a power failure, which can happen pretty quickly, they can kill your tank when they come back on.

It's safer (and lower-maintenance) to go with a skimmer, biological filtration, and sufficient clean-up crew and other life in your tank, in most cases.

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
POwer/canister filters are generally viewed as something more for freshwater or temporary saltwater use (say, during display at a swap) than for permanant reef use. While there are some people who apparently use them successfully, they're rare on reef aquaria. There're a number of reasons, but basically it comes down to the fact that they can become nitrate factories, and because if they go anoxic during a power failure, which can happen pretty quickly, they can kill your tank when they come back on.

It's safer (and lower-maintenance) to go with a skimmer, biological filtration, and sufficient clean-up crew and other life in your tank, in most cases.

agreed.. like i said it worked.. but i only dd it bc i got tired of trying to continually restart the syphen..but the new system has a seperate sump and fuge tanks..

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
i personally hate any canister on salt water tanks. my first tank was a 29g with the marineland canister. did the tank ok but never could get rid of nitrates and honestly it just did not do the job efficently. i ended up going on ebay and buying a small cheap wet dry for it. what a world of difference it was after that was on. i never had to mess with it again. then again only mo

OOtzie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I knew before I posted that nitrates would be the most obvious issue, I guess i'll just sell em'. I new reefer wouldn't isnt looking to do anything more than be sucked in by the beauty and simplicity, I'm running a 14gal biocube for that reason; if I had the space i'd of set up a 55gal, all in due time.

So use a protein skimmer? any suggestions on a reliable, low priced?

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
well how old of price u looking to spend? 100? 200? 300? as low im guessing around 100. only one id reccomend is if u can find the aquaC used go with that. if not new coralife skimmers i personally like, but it has to be new. not the yellow/red box one. the new ones that came out like a month ago is pretty good. only like 100 new

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: