Saltykirk

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am in the process of setting up a large aquarium. What is considered the best way to filter an aquarium of 500+ gallons? I know wet/drys were big in the 80's, but am not sure what is the best available techniques for biological filtration. It will have a large skimmer, DSB, some LR for caves, carbon, and UV. I am not sure about ozone yet, but I am considering its use. Any advice & tips will be greatly appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good quality skimmer is going to be, by FAR, your best investment.

Saltykirk

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer, I won't mention brand name, is one of those needle wheel skimmers that are really nice. It is rated for 600 gallons & the total gallonage is 535. The sump I am thinking about would be a 120 gal tank converted to a sump. I am stuck as to todays best method of biological. I like the idea of LR, but that would be a huge amout to compensate for several large fish.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you could simply get enough (quality) l/r to help seed a decent DSB, and if you're getting fishes that would disturb the DSB, simply house it in the sump/refugium. Howzat?

Saltykirk

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds real goood!!! I was figuring on the 4-6" range for DSB. The only fish that I anticipate doing any digging would be a clown trigger. Kind of thought about getting a R/S one if possible. Thanks for the tips, don't want to miss out on some of the latest stuff & scratch my butt later & think of could've been.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: