jamesw

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree with you Charles. A 180g tank is too small for this fish. I was merely pointing out that I have seen firsthand how big this fish can get.

I look forward to reading your upcoming articles.

Cheers
James

delbeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was merely pointing out that I have seen firsthand how big this fish can get.

Yeah but my point was that, that is NOT how large that fish CAN get ... it SHOULD get MUCH larger in 10 years. :)

Aloha!
JCD

Tanglefoot

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All, thoughts well taken. In your opinion what is the average growth rate per year, and what size would mandate going from a 100 gallon to a 300 gallon. And then what size in the 300 gallon should I start looking for a new home for him? ( 8"-10" ???). And yes he does eat anything, but i want to make sure he is eating a proper diet.

As a seperate thought what is your view on re-integration into the wild with tank raised marine fish? Ihave never heard anyone talk about it and was wondering if it was possible or not.

Thanks,
Tanglefoot.

delbeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if these were directed at me or not but:

All, thoughts well taken. In your opinion what is the average growth rate per year, and what size would mandate going from a 100 gallon to a 300 gallon. And then what size in the 300 gallon should I start looking for a new home for him? ( 8"-10" ???). And yes he does eat anything, but i want to make sure he is eating a proper diet.

I have no idea how quickly they would grow since i don't have much experience in keeping them in aquaria, however, I would say based on experiences with other species that they will tend to grow faster if placed in a larger tank to begin with. In other words, the larger the initial tank size the faster they will grow. I would look to move it out after it reaches 10" or so.

As a seperate thought what is your view on re-integration into the wild with tank raised marine fish? Ihave never heard anyone talk about it and was wondering if it was possible or not.

I think it is a bad idea unless the fish are raised in the locale where they will be released. Release of captive breed organisms back to the wild is a very contentious issue for many things (e.g. salmon) due to issues with disease introduction and debate on the effectiveness and impact of release programs on wild stocks. The same applies to corals. There is also a lot of debate about if reintroduction efforts are really all that effective.

Also what would be the goal of reintroducing marine tropicals? To replenish reefs depleted due to what ... overcollection? If so, if you stop collecting, the fish will return. If you are trying to keep collecting going it doesn't make sense to me to raise a fish that is collected, then reintroduce it so that it can get collected again. Might as well just raise them and sell them.

My 2 cents worth.

Aloha!
Charles

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: