Mike&Pam

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gal with nothing but crabs and live rock. No fish at the moment. I had to take a break from them due to problems with disease. Anyway, I am currently researching on how to feed fish the perfect diet. My question is about vitamin supplements. I was feeding my clownfish frozen brine plus and my tangs sea veggies and some spirulina flakes. I think next time I should use some vitamin supplements. Is selcon the answer or vitachem? Also, how do you apply this stuff? I would imagine it dissolves off of the food when it hits the water but then again I don't know. So, which should it be? Or should it be both?

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Selcon. I put 1/2 mL in some system water with whatever food is on the menu that day. I let it soak for about 15 min and then dump the food/vitamin mixture in.

Mike&Pam

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know vitamin C is very important to fish. Is selcon vit C rich? I know vitachem is. Also, should these vitamins be mixed with every feeding?

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what all is in Selcon. I just use it upon the recommendation of Bob Fenner. He likes it. I use it for every feeding--which is once a day.

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a liquid. I just add it to the mix of food with some water and let it soak in for a while. What doesn't soak into the food goes into the tank.

cindywennin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually thaw my frozen food on a paper towel to soak up any liquid, remove the food from the paper towel, add selcon then feed. Since I don't know what was in that liquid stuff I don't want it in the tank.
Cindy

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ZOE as my nutrient enricher (VIT and MIN suppliment). I can tell you whats in that from looking at the bottle, I think they are all basically the same. It seems like zoe was the same price for a smaller bottle then the others. As to directions, I soak anything I want to soak in it (any food) and dump a capful into the tank two times a week. I don't tend to put it on my flakes, just because I think my flakes have good vit content already.

CAL 1 mg, MAG .5 mg, Vit A 5,000 IU, ASC Acid 25 mg, Thiamine/B1 25 mg, niacin 15 mg, pyridoxine/B6 15 mg, B12 15 mcg . Has spirulina and kelp as first ingredients.

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I place a few drops of Selcon and Vita chem on top of a small square of brine shrimp that I have placed in a Tuberware container. I let this sit in the frige till the next night and repeat.
Steve

JohnD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use both Vita-chem and Selcon. One one day and the other the next. I add some on top of the frozen food cube I am thawing in a glass and let it sit of 15 minutes or so.

Besides the foods you mentioned, consider Ocean Nutrition frozen food. I use Formula 1 and 2, Angel Formula and Prime Reef. Also, Seaweed Selects from Ocean Nutrition are great for the tangs.

HTH

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: