A

Anonymous

Had a healthy flame hawk in my Imp.110g Reeftank for last four months.

Pugnacious little feller, always first ( with Clarkii's) to food.

Today nowhere to be seen.

Have 4 other fish ( not possible suspects ) a few crabs, biggest about 15mm major suspect, cleaner,coral banded, blood shrimps, large brittle star, macrodactyla anemonoe, various corals.

Bafffling thing was all conditions near perfect. Where could he have gone, definitely dead as always visible/first out for food.

Any help with inques/autopsy appreciated..

Cheers

G1k/Urchin

A

Anonymous

Check behind your tank. I have had this happen with 2 of my flame hawks. They simply disappeared. When I moved I found them dried and crinkled on the floor behind my tank.

Just a thought
PeteS

A

Anonymous

I would definatly suspect the brittle star Ive heard green ones are predatory but have seen this kind of behavior in my large blue brittle star

A

Anonymous

Urchin

definitely check around the floor.Mine once jumped down the overflow pipe(impossible to get to for a fish).After giving up hope of ever finding him alive,he turned up in my sump.

Martin

A

Anonymous

Any chance of a Mantis shrimp??? Ever heard any clicking or snapping sounds come from the tank......perhaps at night. Any other fish ever disappear??? Did this fish ever bother the inverts while he was in there???

My brother had a flame hawk systematically eliminate EVERY shrimp from his reef one by one........talk about expensive food
eek.gif

A

Anonymous

check behind tank i had a long nose hawk disappear found him 2 weeks latter behind tank.also have a flame hawk and i think he also eat my two shrimp sneaky guy.
smile.gif

A

Anonymous

The suspicious thing I saw was a brittle star. I never had a flame hawk, so I can't speak for their jump tendencies.

But, I had a small Yellow Tang, and a 6"diameter green brittle start. After introducing the Tang to the tank, I noticed he hid behind a rock...then noticed later, he looked labored back there. Upon further investigation, the green brittle had the tang wrapped up.

I got the Tang out of it's grasp, he must of not been a strong swimmer. I thought he would be smart enough to stay away from the brittle...apparently not...the next morning the star had pulled him into his cave and killed him. Poor little tang. I took the brittle star to the LFS and said you can have him.

A

Anonymous

MMMMMMMMM

So it might be the Brittle Star, he is about 5/6" wide and is black. How do you catch such a creature.

Any ideas, checked around tank doesnt seem to have been a jumper.

CHEERS

G1K

A

Anonymous

I just caught mine,
just poked his leg with a pole and scared him to an area where i could flick him to the open sandbed and scooped him up in a net, now just have to find someone to take him!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: