tommyfishpr

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Thanks in advanced for the info I have always received here. The is the place I can get some advice on things.

Well, it seems like for the past year I have encountered the Fluke problem...... did not really have issues with Flukes before but it seems to be common now on the imports.

Any recommendations on how to fight it! Every here and there I will do fresh water baths even on the complete shipments and boy its amazing what you see but I am wondering what else to do?

How about how to treat a complete system for it?

Your feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Tommy.

jhemdal1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes are difficult to control if you have lots of fish entering and leaving a system. The treatment that I use takes a minimum of 14 days. Bascially, you dose the system with 2 ppm praziquantel. After 7 days, change 50% of the water (siphon the tank bottom at the same time) and re-dose. After another 7 days, change 50% of the water again. I've had cases where I needed to increase the dose to 4 ppm, not sure if we're seeing resistant flukes, or just a tougher species. Some people don't do the water changes, but I worry about toxicity.

People use different methods to get the prazi to go into solution - I express it through some nylons, other people use various solvents. Oh yeah, no protein skimming or carbon during the treatment. I have not used Prazipro, but many people have, it may be easier to use than the bulk powder I have. Suppodely, there is another prazi product available in Europe that is also "pre-dissovled".

Jay

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi has worked for me. Great at deworming fish too (they'll have seriously incredible bowel movements for a few days).

vaporize

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":2gezesnw said:
Prazi has worked for me. Great at deworming fish too (they'll have seriously incredible bowel movements for a few days).

Just add to the water OR mix in food?

dizzy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In additional to killing flukes Prazipro also claims to kill flatworms. It is safe to use and fairly inexpensive. A one ounce bottle which treats 120-gallon should retail around $5.00. The following is from Bill at Royal Pet.

Dear customer,

Many of you have asked and are looking for a product to get rid of flatworms in reef tanks that is safe to use. After talking to Hikari they told me PraziPro does exactly this. I have attached a quote of the items showing the list price before your discount. If you have any questions please contact me.

Thank you for your business! 

Hikari USA - Aquarium Solutions Prazipro - 1oz

tommyfishpr

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everybody.

For many months now I have been using freshwater on new shipments to help in reducing the introduction...... it has been better but anytime there is a problem is always the flukes. I hate treating whole systems but I am gonna try some of the suggestions here maybe on a smaller system and see.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: