shinden51

Active Reefer
Can anyone tell me whta i have in my tank.

Description of the creature:

About 4 1/2 inches Long.
About 1/4 inch wide.
Segmented really light green body with white furry white hairs lining both side of the body.
Look like it has 2 really really small red eyes on the head.

Is this kind of worm dangerous in my little 10G

A

Anonymous

Sounds like a bristle worm. Go to the FAQ section here and read up on them. Or do a search in the main board.

They're a good thing.
icon_smile.gif

shinden51

Active Reefer
But i thought bristle worm is usally very thin. I know I have bristle worms in the tank but they are hundreds of times smaller than the big worm I've mentioned. That worm has the width of a cigarette.

The big worm looks like more like a centipede. But instead of legs, it has white furry hairs on the side.

A

Anonymous

I'm not arguing, I haven't been around long enough to do that.
icon_smile.gif

But bristle worms act the same way night crawlers and other earthworms act - they can stretch out super thin and long or be short and stubby.

I've got a couple different kinds in my tank that I'm aware of - some are generally long and skinny and keep their back end in the whole and stretch out to explore. These guys are a yellowish/brownish/with green. The other ones I've seen are a deeper red/brown color and seem much more brave and venture out and move across the substrate. These guys are generally fatter and the bristles are whiter.

Did you do the search of the main board? Search under bristle - you'll learn more about wirms than you ever dreamed.
icon_smile.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: