DrMusik

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
My favorite fish, "link" has been missing for about a week. Now I just got off of night float so I've been somewhat inattentive and I feared he jumped from the tank but today I looked at the tank for awhile for the first time and I noticed this odd cyst-formation on my frogspawn. Upon looking deeper at it I can see what looks like a skull floating inside of it. The fish was plump and happy before last week there's not a chance he died naturally. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• _MG_4271.jpg
    _MG_4271.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 337

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I also think it is growing another head. I cannot imagine a blenny fitting inside the mouth of a frogspawn.

Check your sump for the blenny, or by now if he perished in the tank, he was likely eaten by your CUC :(

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
My frogspawn has had that bubble also. Mine was inflated to the same size as the polyp it was growing from.
It finally receded and is now back to normal. I did not attribute it to a feeding response as my frogspawn has matured from 4 heads to over 20 and I have never seen this form before.
None of my fish are missing also.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
It could have eaten the blenny but I doubt it was the cause of death. Coral tissue can be incredibly elastic and the mouth of even a ricordea mushroom can expand to engulf small fish (if it lands on them). Odds are something happened to the blenny and it either floated onto the euphyllia or swam into it and was too weak to free itself at that point.

When euphyllia grow new heads they either expand and then split the polyp into two or create buds around the base of the tissue. They don't grow from the center of the polyp.

DrMusik

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
the polyp eventually receded, I'm not sure if the frogspawn split or not it has 8-9 heads already so I don't really keep count. Did an exhaustive search of the tank (including the back) but never did see that poor blenny again. Tank is covered with 1/4 inch mesh.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: