danny13oy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have two frogspawns in two different tanks both with about 8 heads.

Picture ONE:

This frogspawn has been in my 10-gallon tank for over 9-months and has always been "big and fluffy." About two weeks ago, it started developing a bubble on one of its head and now a second bubble on another head. I want to know if anyone has ever seen something like this or know what this is?

Picture TWO:

This frogspawn was originally in a 15-gallon tank for about 5 months then moved over to a 50-gallon tank recently. Ever since the move, the polyps has been receded (3-weeks). The water parameters are as follows as of yesterday: pH: 8.2, Temp: 77.2F, Ca2++: 480, Alk: 4.5, Phos: 0, Nitrate: 0, Nitrite: 0, Ammonia: 0, and Salinity 1.021. Does anybody know what could be causing it to recede like this?

If anybody has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

P.S. I am very sorry that my FIRST post has to be questions.

danny13oy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
thanks hungriee for the warm welcome ...

thanks m'akoypinoy for the info ...

so the frogspawn in picture ONE is splitting??? ... thats good news ... but does anybody have any take about picture TWO's frogspawn? I am very worry that its not going to make it to year 2009.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Yeah, that big bubble is good news..congrats!

Regarding the second FS...if your parameters are that good but it's been closed for 3 weeks (that is a long time to be closed for a FS..)..try changing the flow or the lighting. Was there a big difference in lighting/flow placement of the coral between the 2 tanks? If so, try and get it back into the same type lighting and flow in the new tank. Can't much hurt to move if after being closed that long.

..and welcome to MR :)

Last edited:

danny13oy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
hmm kathyc ... come to think of it, my flow and lighting is very different between the two tanks. In my 50-gallon, I run two Koralia 4 and Maxijet 1200 with Nova Extreme Pro T5 (234watts) but my old 15-gallon has only one Koralia 1 and Sundial T5s (96watts). I've thought about moving it already, but I was hesitant since I situated in its approximate spot already. I guess I'll move it first thing tomorrow moring ... like you said ... its been three weeks already ... can't do much more harm ...

Thanks kathyc!

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
your pic 1 question
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/coral-farming/38021-bubble-hammer.html

your pic2 question
it looks definitely stress out. it could b from the transfer. but shouldnt last 3 weeks. it could be the low sg, and/or other par of the water. if the pic1 frogs is doing great, y not put it in that tank till it recovers. recession is usually due to ca/alk. but it the tests are right, that would be strange.

Last edited:

danny13oy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
What kind of a test kit are you using?
Was this the KH value?...the reading in Meq/L? or the reading in ml's?

I use Seachem's MultiTest for marine pH and Alkalinity. It measures in meq/L ... my alkalinity is 4.5meq/L, which by their interpretation is within the normal range of 4-6. However, I've also heard from other reefers (ie hungriee and matthewscars) that it should be 7-12. Does this range differ base on the test kits we use?

reefman - you have a good point ... i should move my FS2 to my FS1's tank ... but its a 10-gallon nano thats already packed. I actually repositioned it today in my 50-gallon. Hopefully a miracle would happen over-night. If not, then I'll have to make room for it in my 10-gallon nano.

BTW, I want to thank you guys for the input ... they are very helpful to me.

Dan

Rating - 98.6%
73   1   0
that bubble thing...i had those "bubble" looking things on four of the heads on my frogspawn for a few months and nothing ever happened..just stayed a bubble til it disappeared. now a few months later, it's back again. :scratchch

HaloStalker

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
if ur getting 4.5 mEq/L then ur DKH is 12.6 lol

if anything its a bit high should be in a rang of 7-11 dkh.

i got dkh by doing 4.5 X 2.8 = 12.6

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: