stazitto25

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Hello All,

Over the summer I started a 6 gallon Fluval Edge Reef. Although it has only been a short time I have been loving making the switch to SW. So I decided that I want to go bigger.

I was going to get 57 deepblue rimless, but since one of my friends decided to tell my girlfriend that he finds fish and snails on the ground since he started that got vetoed.

The only other tank that seems to fit the dimensions I have been allotted for fish keeping seems to be the deepblue 65 gallon reef ready. I have not purchased the tank yet as I will be waiting till after Christmas. I have however purchased a few accessories that I will need for the tank. The first is an RO/DI unit. The second is a custom 29 gallon sump which I will be picking up tomorrow. Finally I have ordered and received a shipment of Pukani dry rock from bulk reef supply. This stuff is awesome. It looks great and they sent me plenty to work with. I did not however know that this stuff is a phosphate factory and have been researching the best way to cure it.

I would rather not take the chemical route, so I am going to put it in a tub with saltwater, a heater, and a powerhead after I thoroughly spray it with the hose. I will do water changes every two weeks, and if need be I found some great threads on Seaklear phosphate remover. If anyone has any experience with this please feel free to share.

I goofed on the sump because I don't have a protein skimmer as of yet and now I will have to try and fit a skimmer to the sump instead of vise versa.

For power heads I am going to go the koralia route to keep the cost down. I have an old T5HO that is 4 x 39W that should do the job until I decide to blow some hard earned money on LED's.

My only other question is regarding the return pump. Does anyone have any recommendations on a type or how many GPH I should look for or have. I have found little and varying information on this topic and would appreciate the advice.

Thanks!

_775299.jpg

pukani_dry_rock_2.jpg

thetman36

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I am having a similar problem with my marco rock leaching phosphate. I have a 210 gal reef and it has been up and running for about 5 months. I am using Rowa and 50 gal per week water changes to help get rid of the phosphate. It seems to be getting much better now and I am going to 50 gal every two weeks.

stazitto25

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
After many...many water changes, and using phos free, despite my previous declaration not to use chemicals, the tank phosphates have finally started to head in the right direction. My phosphate readings were 1.47 when i started, didn't realize that was even possible, they are now down to .17, so I'm almost there.

I also just ordered a kessil a350w, my brother is loving this light and since the price was right I decided to give it a shot. Next up is a protein skimmer, probably going to go with a reef octopus NWB 150, a return pump, and I am seriously considering a GFO and carbon reactor.

Any and all opinions are appreciated as always,

Greg

stazitto25

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
@Tonyscoots84 - Thanks for the advice, after looking into it I am going to go the Eheim route.

As for the rest, last phosphate check was .09ppm. I decided to take the rocks out and give them a good cleaning. LOTS of goo from the LC. Hopefully I got it all off as I imagine this is not good for the sea life.

I also decided that I am going to go for a 57 DB rimless instead of the 65 DB. The reason for this is that I really dislike the center brace on the tank and it is going to get in the way of my Kessil. The only other problem is the stands on these tanks look very inconvenient. With that HUGE center support it is going to be real hard to work on or even see my refugium. If anyone know a good substitute please let me know.

stazitto25

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Finally got to setup my 57 rimless this past Sunday. Everything is going good, no sign of a cycle yet. I am hoping since I used live sand and cooked my rock in saltwater since October that I will have little to no cycle. I can't wait to get my clowns out of the edge, they have outgrown that tank and need a little more room to explore. I will keep everyone updated as I progress.

tank_shot_3.jpg

tank_shot_2.jpg

tank_shot_1.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: