Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I have been actually thinking of making a fuge with my 20 gallon for my 155 reef. Consisting of sand 1 or 2 small pieces of lr, and macros.;)
Having my 20 sit next to my 155.;-)
I am thinking of airline tubing from the 155 down to the 20, and another to the return side of the sump.
Or
A small pump pushing the water from the sump up to the 20, and another in the fuge pumping water back up to the 155, or down to the sump.
Just not sure if it is even beneficial.;) I've always read for the past few years that a beneficial fuge needs to be very large.
What do you guys & gals think?

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
the 155 is the fowlr right lol, I think it is a good idea but the air line tubing in the fuge and then a pump out of the fug. your going to need good lighting to have alot fo stuff grow and chetto. one day I could come over and take a look I am heading to bklyn on friday lol. But if you need help I am there. From what I rember if you have a sump now just scantion a part of your sump off and have the fug sit in the sump make a deep sand bed and you already have everything esle hooked up.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
IMO a 20gal fuge is not worth the effort on your system. It won't do much to export the wastes and will just add another contraption to detract from your display. Better off concentrating on better means of waste export such as water changes, skimming, mechanical filtration, carbon + gfo ect.
I am not a big fan of "natural" filtration :D

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
....from everything I've heard/read and from my own experience the fuge should be at least 30% + of the volumn in the tank to be effective depending on your bio-load...so your twenty would help alittle along with what Rich mentioned, a quality skimmer, water changes, running carbon, GFO etc....but don't expect a big change in nutrients just from the fuge...

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
LOL! See my brain was not totally fried after all.;) Seems I remembered that pretty well, just couldn't remember the exact %.:) Yeayyyy, my brain cells are recovering nicely. Wow almost 4 years.....

It was just a thought cause I have the 20 mini reef setup sitting in my bedroom collecting dust. I just thought I'd put it to use, and grow some nice macros while I was at it.;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: