TNT280

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Hello Everyone, I need help,

I have tons of what I think are copepods, little white looking bugs all over my tank, hundreds on the glass, Do I leave them alone or is there some kind of invert of fish that can get rid of them?

Thanks

olivier

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90.9%
20   2   0
OMG, people of would love these copepods. anyway, if it is copepods, it is a good thing for your tank. your fish will eat them. mandarin dragonet eat them, 6 line wrasse, potter wrasse eat them

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Copepods & amphipods are definitely not something you want to get rid of :)
Can we assume you are seeing them more in the evenings when only your actinics are on? (which would be normal)

Any chance you can get a pic (does not need to to ultra macro...) so we can be sure we are talking about the same critters? :)

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
My Mandarin would love to be in your tank right now! I had the same thing when I set up my tank. I added a baby Occelaris clown and a Flasher Wrasse and within 3 days they were gone. I have a culture of them going in the basement now but it hasn't been doing well.

Hi Olivier, didn't know you were over here too!

TNT280

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Thanks,

Yes, in the evening.I just tried to take a picture, they are so small they dont come up on the camera, I would say they are the size of a pen dot, white and looks like they might have 2 little atena looking things that come out of the top of them.I just googled it and I am almost sure they are Copepods & amphipods. I have blue moonlight led's on and hundreds come out. Also Ihave no fish in the tank just corals so maybe that why they are reproducing like wild fire.

Last edited:

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Even though it may be tempting, if I were you I would wait a while before worrying about introducing a fish to eat them. Give them a chance to grow out and multiply in there. Let them get into the rocks. I made the mistake of introducing a fish that ate them too soon and now there are none left for my Mandarin. Luckily he has started eating Cyclops and Brine Shrimp so all should be well.

jr973

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
415   0   0
Yea definetly wouldn't worry Tone just let em be cause once u get any of those fish mentioned above u will see the deplete quickly

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I couldn't agree with everyone who posted before me more. Those are the #1 critter you want to multiply in plague proportions.

Keep up the good work and don't be too quick to eradicate life in your tank, it'll happen on its own unfortunately.

Russ

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
My first thought to get rid of them is an Interceptor treatment, *but* I agree with the others: keep your copepods/amphipods. It's defintely a good type of problem to have.

I see them as free food for your inhabitants.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
If you do go with a wrasse avoid the 6 line wrasse and go with a different one. I have a yellow coris, a melanarus and a leaopard, as well as the 6 line. But it did go after the melanarus and the leopard, and they look so much nicer than the 6 line as well.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: