Lee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I have been battling some red hair algae (not cyano) for months now. After doing a lot of research, I believe I should be running GFO & Carbon reactor(s) (1 single w/GFO & Carbon, 1 dual, or 2 single). Right now I just have a bag of phosban & a bag of ChemiPure Elite hanging in my overflow. My tank is a 39G Cadlight Pro with a 12G sump. There is some space, but it's tight under the tank in my sump, I do have some space outside of the cabinet that I could use, but that is not my preference. I have been considering BRS & TLF reactors. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for reactors? My criteria for choosing reactors would be:

1 ease of use
2 size
3 cost

Any suggestions welcome, thanks.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I run a Two Little Fishes reactor with GAC and GFO in one. I buy them in bulk to save as Phosban in way too much in comparison.
It is a simple cheap reactor that can not handle too much flow but you wont need a lot with your capacity. I think anything more would be overkill, but Bulk Reef Supply has a canister type that is popular.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Two_Litt...rs-Two_Little_Fishies-TL4311-FIFRISPR-vi.html

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store...eactors/jumbo-brs-gfo-and-carbon-reactor.html

Lee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Thank you Imbarrie. I have been considering exactly what you are suggesting. Have you had any issues with getting the right flow rate for the GFO to stay stable while running carbon in that reactor? The complaint I have heard is that the carbon starts to slow the flow as it is being used, so you need to adjust the flow rate more frequently to keep the GFO "perculating" correctly when running both in 1 reactor. Do you change out both the carbon & the GFO at the same time even though the GFO is supposed to last longer?

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
I always change both once a month. I run the two little fishes reactors and they work just fine they font need much flow so i use a small pump i got for like 10 bucks. When it comes time to buy more i get it from bulk reef supply.

Are you using RO water??

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Yes dherrera, I am using RO/DI water. Are you running carbon & gfo in the same reactor & are you experiencing the flow issue that I mentioned above? (& thanks for your input)

Actually sorru i run two; one with carbon and another with gfo. However, they share one small pump. But keep an eye put people on here sell them all the time.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I was initially concerned with that.
It is more cost efficient to expend the GFO since that costs more, but GAC is pretty cheap so I am not so concerned. If space was not an issue I would add another but I am planning on getting the larger reactor when I upgrade my tank so I may do something then.

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
So, do you split the output for the pump first & then use 2 separate valves to adjust flow for the individual reactors?

Nope, i use on pump one valve. Pump to carbon then carbon to GFO and then back into tank. I use a slow flow because of the gfo. It works for me.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Agreed, though the Chemipure Elite product is priced considerably less than Phosban, which is also overpriced.

I went with bulk containers of GFO and GAC.

Remember that Granular Ferric Oxide is merely rust in a granular form.

tenMann2

y is it floating?
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
If you have the space go with the 2 of TLF reactors or 1 of BRS dual reactor to run the two seperately. Carbon exhausts faster than phosban, this would allow you to change out the carbon more frequently without disrupting the phosban.

Lee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I think the consensus is that it's better to run 2 reactors rather than 1. So I guess the next question is which ones? BRS dual, but then you can't adjust the flow to each separately? 2 individual TLF or 2 individual BRS, or some other option that I have not yet considered?

tenMann2

y is it floating?
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I think the consensus is that it's better to run 2 reactors rather than 1. So I guess the next question is which ones? BRS dual, but then you can't adjust the flow to each separately? 2 individual TLF or 2 individual BRS, or some other option that I have not yet considered?
I run the BRS dual and saves space. Others would prefer 2 of the TFL or 2 BRS single canisters to regulate the flow of each differently with flow control.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: