advanwoerden

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hi,

With thanks to the help of several MR members, I've completely revamped my system to hopefully revive my tank which has fallen off over the past 6 months. I'm getting a new RO/DI system from BRS, replaced my filters, done water changes, basically everything I could think of. I have some GHA on some of my corals which I'm hoping to revive. Any tips on how to best remove the algae, or are they too far gone? The hammer coral is worse off than the acan...

Attachments

• photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I think you mean GHA (green hair algae ) lol
The best way I found to get rid of it quick was a hydrogen peroxide dip. Don't dip the whole coral, just the base where the algae is. Do it for a couple of minutes and put it back in The tank. It shouldn't come back as long as you took care of the problem that originally caused the Algae.

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I've dipped whole zoa frags and they did fine but I never tried it on LPS, so I don't want to say they wont be harmed. I would do some searches on hydrogen peroxide before even attempting it tho. There are many people that dose their DTs with it and there's alot of info out there about it.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
On wider areas you can use a tooth brush otherwise you need a thin brush like you might find in a shaver kit or in an eye liner (womens makeup) kit. Brush from the bottom up. You will end up brushing against the flesh of the polyps but they should be able to recover. I have done it with acans and candy canes. You don't have to get every strand of algae so don't over do it. With frogspawn just brush the branch and if there is a dead head you can brush in there as well.

advanwoerden

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
a brush is going to be tough especially on the acan, where the algae is growing in between all the polyps. I've read around and I've seen some people dipping hydrogen peroxide on LPS, but haven't seen a very detailed discussion at all. Anyone here have any experience with it?

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Brushing is a bit tough but they can handle it. You don't have to get it all. It seems that by roughing the algae up it tends to weaken what is left and it will recede on its own. You can also try hermits and hope they pick it clean. I have no experience with
hydrogen peroxide so I can't help you there. Try it first with some rock and see if it dies off.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: