sanjay

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
There are a few goni's that do well in aquaria. The red one and the purple ones that have a very good track record. I have even fragged the red goni and all the frags have grown into nice colonies. I have a purple one that has been doing great. I know Randy has had one of the purple ones for a long time. So it does have a lot to do with species. I have a friend who has had his goni for 10+ years and it keeps dropping babies. I have one of his babies and that is doing great too.

sanjay.

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Pat Donston at one of BAS meetings explained why these things don't make it in modern tanks and everyone kept it in the early stages of hobby decades ago.

They starve to death. His explanation is very simple actually. Because our filtration systems are so efficient our tanks are too sterile. Ganopora requires lots of organic particles in the water column to feed, something the skimmers are very efficient at removing.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Pat Donston at one of BAS meetings explained why these things don't make it in modern tanks and everyone kept it in the early stages of hobby decades ago.

Actually my tank was set up almost 40 years ago so my gonopora does not know the tank is not modern.
Most gonopora's have no problem in a tank but these white ones are a problem.
I continousely add NSW and mud from the sea, I just added some yesterday. I also feel that a sterile tank is very unhealthy to all the inhabitants.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it!! I had a gonipora in my first reef tank. Don't know how many of you wil remember the ones with the spinning spray bar over baled floss in the sump.(circa 1980) had a nice piece for almost 4 years in a 65 gallon tank with 8 sho flourescents for lighting and an in sump skimmer powered by an airstone. It grew to about the size of a dodgeball ball. After I learned how many things were wrong with my setup (high nitrates 20ppm ,not enough flow and a few other no no's) and started to fix them it died in about 3 months.
PS that was over 20 years ago and I still won't buy another one no point in killing them or my wallet.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The goniporia that is my tank has been alive for almost 3 years i have had him for 6 months and the guy before me for 1 yr and the guy before him for a yr and half so I just hope i didnt jinx myself but i hope my gonipora stays alive

my goniopora is dieing starting to get that filmy substance in about 40% of its rock anyway should i take it out or live him in the tank because of toxins being released and all. BTW it another goniopora not the same as mentioned above

ReefFan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I dunn if its been mentioned yet but the key to these animals is nutrition. I mix up 3 mls of oyster eggs/tissue with 3 mls of rotifers, then add 5-10mls of tank water and a couple drops of coral vitamin soak. mix this up really well cuz it takes a good deal of agitation to break up the tissue n stuff.

Let this mix sit for 30 mins or so. Get yourself s really good blend of live phtyoplankton /w zooanthae. My favorite phtyo is Phycopure. Again, dilute 5 mls of this with 10 mls of tank water and after the circulation in the tank is shut off, use a 1 ml syringe and give it a couple gentle shots of the phyto. You wont see a feeding response with these things. I dunno how it actually absorbs the food but I know it does. After a while of not feeling my Green Goni (the hardest of all to keep beyond a year) the color will fade. But when i do this feeding procedure the color comes right back within a day or two.

I do this 10 minutes after the actinics go on in the morning. 10 Minutes later I follow up with the oyster egg/tissue + roti mix. Use the 1 ml syringe and gently release a cloud over the colony, with no circulation it will settle on it. Be careful how much of these foods you use cuz it can be hard to control the phoshates. Do this 2-3 times a week for a month and youll notice a difference.

Lighting and flow have to be ideal too. After feeding those tentcles have to be able to flow around in a random pattern but not too violent. Light, im dunno, moderate to high is where i have mine. Their natural habitat are in shallow lagoons so try to replicate that environment.

This animal youve chosen is probabaly THE most challenging to keep. So these tedious feeding regimens are required if you to keep one alive longer than the projected 12 month lifespan in captivity. The key is that nutrition though. Those oyster eggs n ovarian issue is the BEST food to come out in the past decade though. Use it. Then take the rest of the mix and feed your sps and other filter feeders like Gorgonians, Coco Worms n stuff like that. My cleaner shrimp go nuts for the stuff so if you have them keep em away from the Goni and others your feeding.

There are other Gonis that are easier to care for but the Green ones are the hardest. GL man, most consider them too difficult to even attempt but if youre into challenges, this thing definetely qualifies. I do hope people realize how hard it is to keep these animals. MAybe if people realize this before they consider buying them, so many of 'em wont be removed from the sea only to be ushered to certain death by LFS demand.

-Jay

Last edited:

ReefFan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
lol I was bored and had some time to kill to I figured Id share my experience with Goni's. Id definetely be interested in hearing any friendly criticism or disagreements with my feeding methods. Its all in the interest of finding the best care for our corals so critique away, anyone?

anyone? :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: