A

Anonymous

Has anyone kept this fish with any success? If so, what are your observations. So far I have read that they like to be kept in groups and feed on suspended planktons. But I would really like more info on these guys. Some of the wholesalers out here are selling these as blue striped fang blennies...why anyone would want one of those I can't quite figure.
wink.gif

Thanks.

ohmigosh : Just read another post asking fish question and decided to add disclaimer : I have not nor do I plan to buy this fish in the near future...but am intrigued : much as I am curious about keeping jellyfish in captivity but have no desire to keep one as a pet. Phew. That other post got nasty. CYA I SAY.

------------------
Hello? Officer?
I've been robbed!
Did I see the guy?
Yeah, he works at the LFS...In fact I think he owns the place...
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by hawkmoon269 (edited 05 June 2000).]

A

Anonymous

G. curiosus can definetely be kept in a reef tank providing you have a deep fine live sand bed and coral rubble for it to sleep and hide in. Best results are with a least a pair or a small group. The problem with this fish is that is easily captured and eaten by even the smallest fish eating species. If it's kept with non-aggresive fish and fed finely chopped shrimp, frozen brine or frozen mysid it will make a great aquarium fish but not one I'd recommend for a beginner.
Regards,
David Mohr

A

Anonymous

Whats their common name?

------------------
PHIL BOBB

A

Anonymous

I try to stay away from common names as much as possible because even in corals you end up with 3 or 4 different species being called the same name and things really get out of hand. But to answer your question 2 names are Curious Wormfish or Curious Dartfish.
Regards,
David Mohr

A

Anonymous

Thanks.The reason I asked is because I don't have a book inside my head on sci.names.I only know common names and a few scientific names right now.I am still learning all the sci. names.

------------------
PHIL BOBB

A

Anonymous

Don't worry about it. Having a head full of scientific names isn't all it's cracked up to be. :) All those names and 50 cents still only buys me the Chicago Tribune.
Regards,
David Mohr

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info. Just my two cents on the sci. name thing....imagine if I went by the wholesaler's tag of fang blenny for this fish. The "blue striped fang blenny" rips at the scales and body of it's victims for food...i.e. my wonderful little reef inhabitants would become a tortured snack buffet. YIKES. So many of the lesser known fish have no commonly accepted name in the trade/hobby...so when asking about this relatively little seen fish (at least here on the W. coast) I think it is important to have a firm handle on the exact animal you are referring to. If I had asked about blue tangs I could be referring to a myriad of fish - "powder blue", "hippo", or "atlantic blue" to name a few...but I digress...I'm sure you got my gist already.
Thanks again.

A

Anonymous

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hawkmoon269:
Thanks for the info. Just my two cents on the sci. name thing....imagine if I went by the wholesaler's tag of fang blenny for this fish. The "blue striped fang blenny" rips at the scales and body of it's victims for food...i.e. my wonderful little reef inhabitants would become a tortured snack buffet. YIKES. So many of the lesser known fish have no commonly accepted name in the trade/hobby...so when asking about this relatively little seen fish (at least here on the W. coast) I think it is important to have a firm handle on the exact animal you are referring to. If I had asked about blue tangs I could be referring to a myriad of fish - "powder blue", "hippo", or "atlantic blue" to name a few...but I digress...I'm sure you got my gist already.
Thanks again.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm, I'm a little confused on this rant as to whom it was directed to, but then again I'm an old man and get easily confused. So from now on when I post using scientific names I will also include some type of common name; I do this on other lists so it's not really a problem if it will help people out.
Regards,
David Mohr

A

Anonymous

I'm also confused as to what you said and who you directed your post to!And I'm not very old,atleast I don't think so!

------------------
PHIL BOBB

[This message has been edited by PPFBOBB12 (edited 07 June 2000).]

A

Anonymous

It was intentionally not directed at anyone. I was just adding to David's comment on how there can be so many different common names for the same fish. I certainly wasn't suggesting that anyone use common names rather than scientific ones...
And I hope it didin't come across as a rant...it wasn't intended as one. Just some thoughts on the subject at hand.
Sorry if I confused anyone.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: