twiggy

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some new mushrooms last weekend. After about a two hour acclimation, I added them to my tank. Within several hours they had all turned to slime and dissolved away. I just more or less wrote it off on poor acclimation/shipping. However, the last couple of days my hammer hasn't expanded and tonight I noticed about half of it was sliming away, too...

Tell me I haven't introduced some awful coral eating bacteria to my tank... What should I do? At this point, everything else looks fine- though some of my hitchhiker polyps ain't lookin' all that hot now either. The tank's been set up in it's current incarnation for going on two years- 55 w/30g sump. Live rock/sand and skimmer. All parameters are still at 0.

Anything I can do besides a water change? This is the first time I've had to deal with anything like this and I'm not sure what I should do at this point. My gut tells me I should pull the hammer now- I should, shouldn't I?!! I'm worried that whatever this is is going to spread to my other stuff.

Advice? Insight?

[ July 14, 2001: Message edited by: twiggy ]

[ July 14, 2001: Message edited by: twiggy ]

LINK

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look more closley at your H2O params. More likely than bacteria IMO. Hope that helps.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like brown jelly or a related bacteria. They can be swift and only get swifter in o2 depleted systems. The best course of action is to cut off the offending tissue with a razor. Start about 1mm or less from the infected tissue. Then bond the open tissue with an epoxy which cures underwater. Then perform a waterchange and increase the current with added surface tension. A little iodide might also help.

GL

Dan

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: