thesauce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
+1 one the silica comments. This made a huge difference with me. Also, its ok to siphon sand if you do it while performing a water change. This is important though: only do a little section of the tank every few weeks. This will prevent the release of excessive toxins and will not deplete the sandbed of beneficial bacteria.

Matorral

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for all your comments, I have a lots of options. Just started with the simplest one. More and bigger water changes, like 40% ( i have a 24 g nano). suctioning like a cup of sand each time, stirring it in the same bucket, getting rid of the nasty stinky water, and then putting the sand back right away. Im gesssing the bacteria will still be alive cause im just waching the sand with the same water that I just removed.

I have done this 2 times this week. There is some improvement, not much. The corals are opening more though, the cyano is still rocking.

Also I use tap water :), but have used it for 2 years without any problems. I guess the problem is crap build up in the sand bed. Maybe phosphate overload from NYC tap :)

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
the water chemistry may have changed in your area which is now causeing problems.i heard this before.get yourself a good ro/di .nothing good has ever come from using tap.there is another thread here where the guy was confident he had a good tap water,by the end of the thread he was kicking himself for not using ro/di

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
avi what are diatoms they are living organisms that will show up in silicated enriched enviroment.what happens when diatoms start to die off it becomes a nutrient for cyano to grow on.and yes there are test kits for silica but how many reefers check for it i know i dont and noone i know tests for it either.the die off from diatoms is so small if you dont have a great phos test kit it wont even show up.

there is quite a bit of new thinking on silica, diatoms, and nutrient export. enjoy the reading...

http://reefbuilders.com/2009/10/30/silica-dosing-reef-blasphemy-or-a-new-form-of-nutrient-export/

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
My 55 gallon reef is left at a light bio load. For years had no problems. Then, suddenly, my phosphates hit the roof. I vacuumed the front of sand bed, did not reduce phosphates too much.

Finally, I put all rock and coral in temp bucket and used a cup to remove 1 inch of sand from entire sand bed, even UNDER ROCKS. My phosphates went back to 0. So I got better results from even vaccumming under rocks.

pdnyc69

acan and zoa master
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
You are here: Home ? Invertebrates ? Crabs ? Red Leg Reef Hermit Crab
spacer.gif

Red_Leg_Reef_Hermit_Crab_ps.jpg
Red Leg Reef Hermit Crab
quickfacts.gif
Scientific NameCalcinus spp. Reef CompatibleYes Care LevelBeginner DispositionPeaceful Min. Tank Size10 gallons Mature Size1 inch Placement in tankAny DietHerbivore RangeCentral America, Mexico Size Class0Other Common NamesRed Leg Hermit, Dwarf Red Leg Hermit DescriptionHermit Crabs are found on sandy areas surrounding reefs rather than moving about on them. These active creatures spend their time scavenging for food and make excellent partners in algae management. If added in large numbers, they will quickly rid the aquarium of algae and will move on to polyps, and other small animals. Will also steal food from sessile invertebrates.DietWill eat filamentous algae and cyanobacteria. Feed meaty bits such as raw table shrimp, frozen mysis shrimp, silver sides, scallop, clam and mussel. They will appreciate offerings of Nori or other vegetation as well. Feed once or twice a week depending on amount of Hermit Crabs vs. amount of available food for them to forage on their own.

pdnyc69

acan and zoa master
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
BOTH OF THESE CRABS TOOK CARE OF MY PROBLEM. REAL CHEAP AT BLUEZOOAQUATICS

Blue Leg Hermit, Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit, Caribbean Blue Leg Hermit DescriptionHermit Crabs are found on sandy areas surrounding reefs rather than moving about on them. These active creatures spend their time scavenging for food and make excellent partners in algae management. If added in large numbers, they will quickly rid the aquarium of algae and will move on to polyps, and other small animals. Will also steal food from sessile invertebrates.DietWill eat filamentous algae and cyanobacteria. Feed meaty bits such as raw table shrimp, frozen mysis shrimp, silver sides, scallop, clam and mussel. They will appreciate offerings of Nori or other vegetation as well. Feed once or twice a week depending on amount of Hermit Crabs vs. amount of available food for them to forage on their own.

fish keeper 7

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
to get rid of cyano in my tank i stirred my sand with my hand daily which helped a little bit, siphoned the rocks while doiung my weekly water changes, but what helped the most and got rid of 99% of it then the other 1% was siphoned out. i took all of my rocks out (i dont have coral so its harder for some people than it was for me) put them all in a bucket and 1 by 1 i took my shower head put it on as hot as i could take it w.o getting burned and put it on the highest strength. and blasted the cyano away. havent seen it since.

*edit* i dont know what this does for the beneficial bacteria on the rocks ai just know no more cyano, and now i can see my coralline algae again =] *edit*

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: