papare

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well alot has changed in the last couple of years that I have been out of this equipment wise,the principle is still the same,take it slow,I just found and joined this site last night,nice to find locals no offence to others, well here's my story I had a 12 gal nano up and running for about three years I had a couple problems with algae in that time but with research (forums) they were taken care of,then I bought a puffer,he ate everything inverts,corals,and the other fish over time, I was so fed up and my son offered to take the tank,so off to his place it went the puffer died after some time and now I have the tank back,my son had drained the tank down so now I have dead rock,so I made the best of it and made an aquascape (pond foam) and incorpurated some rock into it,I added new live sand it's been running two weeks now and I'm ready to put some chaeto in #2 chamber and put in a cleaning crew,I included a pic of what I have so far,any ideas or coments are welcome

Attachments

• nano.jpg
    nano.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 152
  • nano2.jpg
    nano2.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 147

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
I just cant get over how insane this tank looks lol it is like something out fo the deep sea, I would wait for for the clean up crew and just wait for the tank to cycle for over a month and a half and then add in something small like a snail or to and then see from there

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
GreatStuff is great stuff! Reef safe.

I would wait a little longer before you add anything to the tank and do a few tests and any required water changes....or at least do the water changes. You have waited this long, whats a few more weeks?

Love the aquascaping/design.I think you could use double the rock you have so far for a few reasons.
1) More rock means more room for corals to grow.
2) Creates more hiding/sleeping spots for fish
3) Allows for more natural filtration
4) It is great for fish that like to swim when the tank is wide open, but in a small tank, most of your fish will graze the rock for food (Algae/Pods etc) or hang out on rock/coral-This may not be true for your choice of fish, but from what I have seen this is generally the case.
5) You are limiting your coral selection b/c corals have different requirements(low/high light/flow)

Everything I have said could be wrong, these are just my opinions, and I am just trying to help. I do think your tank looks very cool so far, but I believe you could improve upon it. I hope this will help you, and good luck I can't wait to see the tank come alive!

papare

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all your coments, I wish I had a better camera, I have 5 shelfs on the back wall and 8 or more out in front of those at all different heights,I know it doesn't look like it but the rock thats stacked goes just about half way up in the tank,I left room in the front of the tank for frags on lr or shrooms.probably only going to put a small gobey in the tank,kinda gun shy after that evil little pufer,the reason I wanted a clean up crew was because of the green algae bloom, the tank has been up and running two weeks with dead rock and live sand and the aquascape has been an additional 10 days (soaked in salt water 10 days prior due to the smell) thanks again and glad I found this site

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: