Hez

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help, my tank has developed brown (diatom) and green algae.

Tank Specs:
-New 26 Bow Front (running one month now)
-45 lbs Live Rock
-20 lbs Live Sand mixed with 20 lbs Sand. About 3in Depth
-Sea Clone Protein Skimmer
-Power Head
-Fluval 204 Filter
-JBJ Power Compacts (130 Watts of Light). 10-12 Hrs per day.
-Only RO/DI Water used.
-Ammonia=0, Nitrite=0, Ph=8.2 and 76 Degrees
-Nitrates=40ppm ad climbing

All Inhabitants are healthy for now, and include:
2 Clowns
Macro Algae
Various Snails, Crabs and Two Peppermint Shrimp.

I know the problem is probably the Nitrate, but I have done a few water changes with no result. Please advise because I would like to nip this in the bud ASAP.

Thanks.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to our site Hez, I hope you find a neat place to post as you click through the various forums for your topic at hand. On the opening page, check out the library for several references to any reef subject.

In my best opinion, I say the only thing you can do is to physically remove the film by siphon, and watch for the tank to mature. Depending on many factors, for a tank your size Id say you'll see a gradual deline in diatoms/algae film within 3-4 months of system setup. Much can be said about making sure small food particles fall between the crevices of the LR mass, this is where your copepods search for food and it is this vital space that needs regular protein input for the system to balance in a decent time frame. An aged system will encrust with various algaes, filter-feeders, hydroid webs and nets, and all kinds of calcareous and silicate-comsuming animals that work against these blooms. Where there is protein there is life--make sure you LR is either fed sufficiently by your fish leftovers or through supplemental feedings. Just my two cents!

Nice to have you,
]brandon429[

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: