gnorts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi all

So every day I come home and I have to run my mag float accross the glass becuase there is always a Brown Fog on it. This is everyday, once I run the mag float the glass is completely clean and the water is crsytal clear. Im assuming this is a algae growing on my glass that covers it completely. I have tons of snails in the tank and even an urchin. You can see the trails of where they have thru out the day but I dont understand why this is like clockwork everyday. I have had bigger and smaller tanks and never had such an issue.

Tank is a 37 gallon collumn tank 10 gallon fuge
Parameters are all in check
Calcium 420
Ph 8.2
ammonia 0
nitrates undetectable -0
phosphates - 0
always RODI water
nitrites 0
Maxijet 900 powerhead and about 300 gallons an hour coming in from sump/refugium

I cant get this figured out of why it so bad everyday

any suggestions ideas on how to minimize this cloudy growth on my Glass?

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
It's a good thing you have an algae problem otherwise your tons of snails would be dead. A 37 gallon doesn't need that many snails to help keep things clean if you have things under control. Of course if I was selling snails I would tell you a different story.
Cleaning crews don't solve problems they just keep things in check. So if you have a problem you need to resolve it by finding the source of the problem.

So let's start from the begining. How long has the tank been up, what is in it, lighting critters, feeding schedule, what is fed etc. It is not likely that it is only on the glass, it is just easier to see it there.

gnorts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Led 120 watt fixture about 1 month old

Coral beauty angel
Two clowns
Watchman goby
One chromis

This tank is fairly new about two months but I transferred everything from my 15 gallon to this 15 gallon was running for 2 years

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
It most likely diatoms. It happens I'm all new tanks and will probably be all over your rocks soon. Just keep up with water changes and it should go away eventually.

I agree with fishman!! BTW, what test kit are you using? Especially for the phosphates.;) It is very likely that you do not have 0 phosphates.

gnorts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Have a bak pack pulls alot out and was doin water changes once a week 5 gallons

Should I do more? System has about 40 gallons in total with sump

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: