Rating - 100%
70   0   0
I feel a little embarrassed to post this but I have an angry damsel that is harassing/stressing everyone in my tank including my sailfin tang who is at least twice his size.

Is anyone in Manhattan willing to either 1) lend me a fish trap (with some instructions) or 2) help me catch him with my nets (I have a deep tank and quite a bit of rock which is why its so hard).

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

tentacles

cephalopod enthusiast
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
Soda bottle fish trap. If that doesn't work you could try leaving a net in the tank for a few days (so that the fish get used to it) and feed near it, then scoop him up when the time is right. That worked for me catching some elusive peppermint shrimp.

Omar

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
What's up mike? Don't have any experience with keeping that particular fish but have you tried catching it well after your light cycle? My or shall I say your clown was much easier to catch after my light cycle was off for about an hour or so. That's why I had you meet me late that time. Otherwise...I'd go with a fish trap...no hooks...

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I also use the soda bottle fish trap. it works great for clownfish, they are a type of damsel. It also works good to get dottybacks, another nearly impossible to catch fish

djxtc21

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
This is what worked for me, its a little long but it works

leave the net hanging in the tank for some time so it becomes part of the tank and not a new threat (i left it for an hour)

at about 20-30 min in I lightly fed near the net so it became associated with food and again less of a threat

then at an hour i lightly fed again while holding the net and I was able to quickly catch him

Rating - 100%
70   0   0
**UPDATE**

Breaking news, damsel captured!

After catching two cleaner shrimp the damsel successfully scared off all the other fish from the coke bottle so he could move in for the kill. It was tense but I got him and he is now residing in the comforts of my custom king fuge :) THANK you to everyone who responded. If anyone has a very large tank and wants a free angry damsel please PM me :)

Thanks again!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: