• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW
A

Anonymous

I have a 125g holding tank that will have guppies in it. The guppies will be netted out into bowls for a day at a time, and then replaced into the holding tank. Realistically, there is no way I can QT these guppies when I add replacements.

1) How many males can I keep in a tank this size?
2) If I am accquiring the guppies from a 0 ppt system, what level of salinity can I acclimate them to right away (say an hour acclimation)?
3) What long term salinity (again assuming a transition from a 0 ppt system) would be ideal to prevent or kill any communicable diseases?
4) Why am I bothering maintaining a freshwater tank for a hotel?

A

Anonymous

Not a guppy person, but let's pretend I am an expert.

1, you can keep as many male as you want, maybe 200+ easily.
2, you can go from 0 to 5 ppt pretty quickly. But I only did full strength acclimation for mollies, never guppies.
3, anything more saline than brackish water will kill off the most of the freshwater parasite, and vice versa.
4, for the love of work, obviously. Ask the manager for a free room that you can access via backdoor without registration. Can be handy at times.

A

Anonymous

Well, I'd think you could keep say 100 males depending on filtration. With no females to fuss over the torn fins should be kept to a minimum. I've acclimated guppies to full strength SG in 6 hrs with no ill effects to the males, so I'd say a brackish concentration should be doable in an hour. I'd say attrition will be pretty steep, given the daily netting, and the stress of being in the bowls.

A

Anonymous

We have 2 guppies in a 4 gallon tank. Realistically, I think we could have about 20 guppies in a 4 gallon tank, or 5/gallon. We also empirically determined that a zebra danio that picks on a black molly gets what it deserves in the presence of an archerfish.

A

Anonymous

I'm sure he could up the density, but don't know what the propsed tank setup is.

A

Anonymous

Subcomandante Marcos":32h6ziur said:
We have 2 guppies in a 4 gallon tank. Realistically, I think we could have about 20 guppies in a 4 gallon tank, or 5/gallon. We also empirically determined that a zebra danio that picks on a black molly gets what it deserves in the presence of an archerfish.

:lol: So cruel, so, so cruel. :lol:

I like guppies, there are a lot of freshies that I still love.

A

Anonymous

>... :lol: So cruel, so, so cruel :lol:

It is the fact of the Nature :?

A

Anonymous

100 gallon tank full of just guppies?

You could keep as many as you want. You know that food dictates population size. keep feeding the little f'ers and they'll keep f'ing like bunnies.

I had a 10 gallon full of livebearers (swordfish and mollies too) in college and had so many I bought a dwarf frog to control the population.

Why bother netting them? Just throw some food in there and call it good.

What they said about the SG. I've never done it, so I can't help you. I've only taken brackish fish and acclimated them to freshwater.

Hotel bars are great places to hook up with random chicks.

B

A

Anonymous

Well these dopes decided guppies are too small, even after I explained and showed them some before we made the switch. :lol: :roll:

Back to bettas! This time we're doing females, and that's that. Thanks for all the help folks!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: