Reefnman

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided to use my 90 Gal. that was my original Reef to be tank...I had purchased this and started my set up back in 03. It has a 4" sand bed and 80 lbs. of LR but then when I took on a new job that kept me from home for up to a month at a time I just purchased a couple of fish for my wife and left it at that. It was highly neglected for the past 5 to 6 years...I kept a skimmer running and would empty it whenever I returned home but other that that, the wife fed the fish and that's it.

I have cleaned it all up now...gave my fish to a friend...major water change...T5 lights...sump on the way. Water tests are looking good actually also. My problem is, or questions are, the LR looks pretty much dead...little or no life at all that I can see...should I just add another 40 lbs to liven things up? Also, I do not see much activity in my sand bed either (4") 1 bristle worm that I've seen, is there anything I can do to "liven" up my sand? Any help or ideas would be great.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine that a DSB that has been neglected for so long might harbor all sorts of nitrates, phospates etc that it has absorbed over the years. I would start again if I were you, removing the sand bed and putting in a new one (if you want sand - another option is to go bare bottom or put some cutting board down - but a lot of people don't like the look). I would suggest that you replace the sand bed, but that, if in the process of doing so, it's an even, light color, with no bad smells, then maybe you could reuse it. However, I somehow imagine it will be dark in places, with some sulfurous smells emanating from it. If that indeed is the case, go ahead and replace it. It'll save you all sorts of stress in the long term.

As for your rock, it will probably still serve as a filter for the tank, but people do talk about LR having a life span in a tank and yours might be the near the end of its time. My guess would be that you should try "cooking" the LR (i.e. putting in a bare bottom tank for a few weeks, in the dark, with plenty of circulation and regular water changes/skimming. This would encourage it to shed a lot of the crud its picked up over the years. But, above all, I'd encourage you to look round for info on the internet (maybe using searches for "cooking live rock" or "rejuvenating live rock", as I've not gone this process myself - just making an educated guess, based on what I've read.

kgross

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also suggest either changing out the sand, or at least giving it a very good cleaning..

On the live rock, I would take it all out of the tank, and swirl it in salt water to remove all the detritus you can (normally FO tanks build up a lot of detritus), then put it back into the tank. The coraline will start growing as you get the lights on it and the water quality back into shape. You will want to seed the tank with a fewe pounds of good live sand and life rock though.

Kim

Reefnman

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my sand bed actually looks pretty good...when I did my major cleaning I took out all the LR and took out I'd say...90% of the water and the only smell was a strong algae odor from the sand but it looks real good. I also cleaned the LR like you said Kim and in a matter of days it has a lot of coraline and plenty of other life also...plus I found two red legged hermits that I put in there back in 03 still living...kind of a surprise. Do you all put live sand in your sumps or leave them empty? I was thinking LS and getting some to liven up my DSB. Also...I have Red Sea test kits but are there any better brands that maybe I should try? Any other tips you might have would be great...thanks.

Eric

kgross

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geting some good live sand is a very good idea.

Test kits, I like salifert, they are good test kits, and have a good rep. Elos are good as well and in about the same price range. API or pretty good, and very inexpensive. So I normally suggest API for calcium and alk since you should be running that test very often. and since api does not have a mag, get the salifert or elos brand of that.

Kim

kgross

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the no advice, I had assumed you would read what people posted.

I said to change out the sand, or at least do a bunch of live sand. I would have thought that was advice.

Again. Sorry we were not helpful enough for you.

Kim

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefnman":15pvqhcp said:
Wow...all these so called reef experts and no advice...lol Oh well...

Just other hobbiests, with lives of their own. :roll:

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefnman":3aa59s74 said:
Wow...all these so called reef experts and no advice...lol Oh well...
You got a prompt response containing good advice above, not sure what you're referring to here... :?:

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he wants us to come over to his house and fix it for him. :wink:

Seriously though. What do you consider "dead" rock? It is just grey rock with no pods, worms, or algae? Do you even have bulbs over the rock to keep algae?

Reefnman

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted that as a joke...notice the lol?? Please don't get your panties in a wad...Thank you Kim and Ape...I used some of both of your suggestions and my tank is rockin'! Had a big hair algae problem break out but with just great water parameters and inverts 99% of it is gone now. Kim, those salifert test kits are great...thanks.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries. Throwing a winky or two in there helps people realise that though. Lots of bitter people out there who'd have posted that for real and a winky is easier to notice than a written lol. :wink:

Whichever way, great to hear that the tank is doing well! 8)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: