Hoolio521

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I jsut recently set up a 46gallon bow front

Right now i have the t-5 bulbs
Fluval 305 Canister Filter
Remora C Protein skimmer (powered by maxi jet 1200)
Aqua clear 30
About 28 pounds of live rock (more coming)
Aragonite reef sand bed

and i was thinking of buying either the aquaclear 50 or the koralia 1 powerhead to increase flow and circulation.

Any advice on which powerhead to get and any thing else i might need?
Also ... as of now i turn on the lights during the day and turn them off at night? is this a good system or is it much better to have it on an elecrronic timer? thanks !

As far as fish go...

I was going to put my Valentini Puffer (knock on wood) and serpent starfish into the tank and then i was thinking of getting two percula clown fish, 1 or 2 neon gobies, maybe a small blue hippo tang, some hermit crabs, and maybe a midias blenny. anyhting i'm forgetting or any advice?

Hoolio521

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the koralia 3 really? is that not too strong? i don't want to blow any of my fish away haha. doesn't that circulate 600 + gph. right now i have the aqua clear 30 on the back left corner and figured i should get one for the other side. but would the koralia 3 be too much? also the fluval canister filter says not to put aeration devices near the input hose. if the current is going by that will that affect my filter? / would i be able to tell if there was something going on?

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Koralia 2 IMO would be strong enough. I would lose the canister filter. just stay with the aqua clear and the remora. Aqua clears are easy to clean. canister is a pita and you , or "I" would get lazy and not change it often enough.
Aqua clears are the best "filters" imo. If you do not have a sump

RAYISKING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
K 3
I have one k 3 and one k 1 on my 40 breeder tank no problem. Plus i have a marinaland emperor 400 that is just filled with live rock so my mandarin has copepods he can not get to.

sil3ncio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
i have a 46 bow, and I would go with the koralia 3, I have two koralias 2 and its not enough. Loose the canister or filled it with live rocks like rayisking did. It might be too late, but it would have been a good idea to drill it, and put a sump in the bottom..... look at my gallery....

nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
Another 46ga bowfront tank, awesome. I started w/ 35lbs LR, 40lbs LS, a Fluval 305, an AC110, Prizm protein skimmer and one Koralia 3.
Now my systems has a 600gph U-tube overflow box, 15ga sump/refugium, 1 Vortech mp40W, over 90lbs LR, and recently bought a ETSS Reef Devil skimmer (still not setup).
Good Luck and remember be patient

Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
after going thru various incarnations of a 46 gallon I reccomend drilling it and setting up a sump with a proper skimmer. ditch the fluval unless you're going fish only.

UnknownWaters

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Or keep the canister filter take out sponges or floss whatever you have in tun down the flow and make a nice reactor out of it. most fluvals are MSF's multi stage filters so you have at least 3 comparments in it. 1 carbon 2 phosban and #3 for denitrate media becuase no fuge no cheato nitrates are gonna rise thats just my opinion.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: