Mattquist

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to start a nano Reef. I am wanting something Between 10 and 15 gallons, Live Rock and Skimmer only. Question is lighting. I have 2 175MH's w/1000K bulbs. Would it be too much to use one of these lights for a nano reef? I was concerned about the total light output, and the heat buildup, even with a fan. I thought that PC's might be a smarter approach. If this won't cut it, then I'll probably end up selling the MH's. Any recommendations on what works well?

Thanks in advance!

starr

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all i can say is www.nano-reef.com i have a 20 tall with 15 watt power glow a power head a 3.5" plenem sand bed and shrooms, anthila,star pol,colt coral. o and about a pound and a half rock. that 175 would be good for sps in sutch a small tank

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mattquist":1i9223oh said:
Looking to start a nano Reef. I am wanting something Between 10 and 15 gallons, Live Rock and Skimmer only. Question is lighting. I have 2 175MH's w/1000K bulbs. Would it be too much to use one of these lights for a nano reef? I was concerned about the total light output, and the heat buildup, even with a fan. I thought that PC's might be a smarter approach. If this won't cut it, then I'll probably end up selling the MH's. Any recommendations on what works well?

Thanks in advance!

i think a MH will work fine, just not in a canopy. if you can suspend it above the tank a couple feet i think one would be fine.

too much heat output for a canopy.

i have seen PC lighting on a ten and they were able to keep SPS without overheating. that route worked well in a canopy.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like too much heat for such a small tank then, eh?

only if housing them in a standard canopy. a custom hanging fixture or a pendant fixture could work, but i don't know what you are going for.

Mattquist

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since the MH's will probably be too hot for installation in a canopy, what size PC's do you recommend? I was thinking about one of the quad 96watt setups, or maybe 2x55 watters. I guess the difference is that the quad will fit on a 10 gal setup, whereas the 2x55 would have to go on a 15gal. Am I way off here?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't know much about PC lighting.

you would be giving a ten gallon plenty of light with either of those set ups though.
i don't know, you may have heat problems with the quad idea.

the ten i saw had two PCs over it. probably 55w. they were about 14" long, they were 50/50 bulbs, they had a canopy with the lift lid configuration. 'was a cool little tank.

it was at a LFS, i will try to find a pic of it.

johns120

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As already recomended see www.nano-reef.com
There are many members that keep a 175 mh in a fan cooled vented canopy without too much dificulty. I do have a recommendation though that in a sense defeats the purpose or concept of an easy to care for self contained nano system. That would be the use of a small overflow box with sump, however small for the sole purpose of maintaining a consistent water level in the show tank. For aesthetic reasons, it bothered me to see a water line in the show tank if I failed to top off-a daily occurence in small tanks with bright lights. Also, when I do top off, I like the idea of the premixing in the sump before the new water hit the inhabitants.
But dont listen to me, tomorrow I'll probably change my mind :roll:

Mattquist

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I was thinking about going with, along with a single 3" fan. Comments?

p_519773.jpg

The PowerQuad 96 watt SmartLite Retrofit Kit incorporates the 96-watt PowerQuad SmartLamp with the single 96 watt Electro-Lite ballast and endcap, and a ready-to-mount polished aluminum reflector for a complete, easy-to-install retrofit kit. The PowerQuad lamp is a revolutionary 4-tube, 18" lamp that provides unparalleled output. With two 10,000 super daylight tubes and two actinic blue tubes, it is the perfect setup for smaller or oddly shaped aquariums. These energy-efficient lamps produce over three times the brilliance and last twice as long as standard fluorescent aquarium lighting.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 15 tall (a 10 gal thats 6" taller) and a 7 gal bow both lit by CSL 2 x 32 w pcs. they both rock. I went with the setup i have to be able to dusk/dawn the tanks. If you are not looking to do the dusk.dawn the 96 is the way to go. lots o light.

even if you go with the 2x32, thats 64 watts over a ten gal.

(i am fighting hair algea in my 7 gal so I have stepped down to a single smartlight 32 w)

I went with the 15 high because it fits on my desk, and I built the canopy I have for a 10. I like the added height because it gives me more water volume and my bakpak 2 fits without mods because of the 6 extra inches.

Cvarcher is selling a 2x32 csl pc here in the for sale forum. I bought my bakpak from him. Good guy to deal with. (If I had the cash to turn my 20 brackish into a clown tank, i would have bought them)

Brett

tetra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try hellolight.com

I have one that is half actinic and half 10kk on the quad...a lot cheaper I think

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: