• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Donjc

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, everyone I have been trying to get all the information I can before I start a reef tank. The part I find the most confusing is the water chemistry and the several organisms one might encounter. I have a 46gallon bow front and all the necessary equipment. My plan is to go through 5 phases.

I. Chemistry
II. L/R and LS
III. Cleaning Crew
IV. Adding Corals
V. Adding Fish

I am in no hurry and I want to do each correctly, but first I have a couple of questions.

I. Chemistry
a) What I know so far I could use Kalkwasser or a 2 part system to maintain Calcium at 400-500ppm and Alkalinity 10-14 dkh. Try to maintain PH 8.0-8.3, Salinity 1.025 Temp 79-85.
b) I have read that Mg is needed to maintain the balance between Ca and Alkalinity, so look out for Mg.

II. LR and LS
a) I was planning on using about 15# of Lalo rock and 15# Fiji. For, the DSB I was going to use mixed-grade aragonite substrate (1.0mm-1.7mm grain size) and then add some LS to populate the DS. What should I look for when I cure the LR and LS as far unwanted organism?
b)According to Drs F S I should add Iodine, Strontium, and Trace Elements. Is this necessary when you cycling the tank or can it wait.

I’ll stop here and take one step at a time. Thanks in advance

[/b]

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Donjc":2hp7a9pu said:
Hello, everyone I have been trying to get all the information I can before I start a reef tank.

Hello Donjc and welcome to Reefs.Org. It looks like you're off to a good start. :)

What I know so far I could use Kalkwasser or a 2 part system to maintain Calcium at 400-500ppm and Alkalinity 10-14 dkh. Try to maintain PH 8.0-8.3, Salinity 1.025 Temp 79-85.

Yes, kalk or a 2-part (or both) will work well for supplementing Ca/Alk. I think the range of the numbers you stated is fine. My advice would be to keep an eye on things but don't get too caught up in it - some of those numbers could be lower with no problems.

I have read that Mg is needed to maintain the balance between Ca and Alkalinity, so look out for Mg.

If you do regular water changes with a good salt mix I don't think you'll have much of an issue with Mg although it doesn't hurt to check it. In a balanced state Mg is present in a 3 to 1 ratio with Ca (in other words, if your Ca=400 your Mg would be about 1200 in a balanced situation). If your Ca/Alk numbers are getting off track it would be something to check on, but I wouldn't worry about it in the early stages.

I was planning on using about 15# of Lalo rock and 15# Fiji. For, the DSB I was going to use mixed-grade aragonite substrate (1.0mm-1.7mm grain size) and then add some LS to populate the DS.

Should work just fine.

What should I look for when I cure the LR and LS as far unwanted organism?

You don't really have to look for much - the bad stuff always makes itself known eventually. :wink: IME it's rare to get any real problem critters on Pacific rock other than aptasia. You basically just deal with things if and when they come-up. Not stocking the system with fish for a month of so can help minimize the chance of a problem with a fish-related parasite.

According to Drs F S I should add Iodine, Strontium, and Trace Elements. Is this necessary when you cycling the tank or can it wait.

IMO it's never necessary although some people do dose them. If you're doing regular water changes I don't think you'll find you need to dose much (if anything) beyond your 2-part and/or kalkwasser.

HTH

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: