• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Eboman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of setting up a sump for my 55 gallon FOWLR. I got a hot deal on a Sen900 and figured I was about half way there.

I'm thinking of using a rubbermaid tub or some other type of container for the sump.

My problem is what to get for an overflow box. My biggest concern is that I REALLY don't want any accidents!! I live in an apartment building and I have already made a big water spot on the guy's ceiling who lives below me a few months ago from a hang on skimmer accident (and that was only from about 1/4 gallon of water).

Any suggestions on a good way to guarantee that I wont get any failures from an overflow box?? Which is the best brand box? My LFS has some used overflows for cheap since they just recently drilled their tanks (no-name brand). Do you think I could modify the "generic" used boxes to be foolproof?

Thanks for your help,
Eboman

Emmitt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anything is foolproof, but I would not recommend the CPR units. I have heard that Lifereef boxes are among the best.
Good luck!

Carpentersreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. no overflow is foolproof. If 1/4 gallon causes trouble, I suggest getting another, 1size larger rubbermaid, cut it down to half height, tap in a hose on the bottom and place it under where you think a possible overflow would occur and have it drain into a large bucket.

srbayless

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

I have been using the CPR overflows for several years, and never had any problems with them.

The only foolproof overflow I have seen wasn't really an overflow box. The person had drilled several holes into the back of the tank (it was acrylic) and had bulkheads with strainers acting as overflows. As long as the strainers are kept clean, there is almost no way for them to fail.

If you have a glass tank, you are pretty much stuck with overflow boxes. The lifereef are great, as are the CPR ones.

Good luck,

Scott.

20g

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Srbayless about the CPR overflows. I have been using one for a year with no problems.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: