Spsnut

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a pair of tilefish yesterday and couldn't spot even a fin of a 4 1/2" fish; I drained my syphon drain looking inside and out I figured it a goner; after kids lessons I find that my other had spotted it behind a Tunze that I have in the small space between the overflow box and the side of the tank. I hadn't looked there yet, and it isn't comfortable enough to come out yet. I'll temp it tomorrow with some live brine shrimp. If its still not out by Friday then I'll worry more about it. My point is that you may not have looked everywhere, and give it a little time.

KaeSean

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a pair of tilefish yesterday and couldn't spot even a fin of a 4 1/2" fish; I drained my syphon drain looking inside and out I figured it a goner; after kids lessons I find that my other had spotted it behind a Tunze that I have in the small space between the overflow box and the side of the tank. I hadn't looked there yet, and it isn't comfortable enough to come out yet. I'll temp it tomorrow with some live brine shrimp. If its still not out by Friday then I'll worry more about it. My point is that you may not have looked everywhere, and give it a little time.

Your right, definitely. I had everybody in my house looking but then again they see crevices we can't see. I hope he doesn't starve, that was my main concern thinking he won't come out to eat

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
I had the same problem with my firefish since day one!3weeks went by and I thought for sure he was dead....sure enough he came out for a minute and hid for another week..extremely shy,not to mention my clownfish don't really like him so he hides even more.i had mine for about 2 months and still never seen him eat

KaeSean

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with my firefish since day one!3weeks went by and I thought for sure he was dead....sure enough he came out for a minute and hid for another week..extremely shy,not to mention my clownfish don't really like him so he hides even more.i had mine for about 2 months and still never seen him eat

Lol these guys suck man, they look cool but I like to see them out infront of the tank

duromega

Fish Hoarder
Staff member
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
I purchased 2 of them last week and what I did to prevent this:
Acclimation to the new tank
and then placed the fish for about 12 hours in the bag inside the tank, by the time it was time to get them out they felt like home, they only go to sleep in the night time during the day they always swimming round , no hiding at all

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Acclimation to the new tank
and then placed the fish for about 12 hours in the bag inside the tank..

IMO leaving them in the bag for 12 hrs is not the best idea, unless you were doing water changes often. An 'acclimation box' that allows tank water to flow thru it would be a better idea, and if necessary new fish can remain in it for days!

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Not sure that 2 will work in a small tank unless they are a pair. Fish are hard to figure out. My firefish was always out for over a year. Then I got some cardinals that were fighting and it spooked the firefish so now I only see him at feeding time.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: