A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell from the pic but it looks like fungus or the beginnings of fin rot.
I believe I warned you way back when you were considering buying a Copperband that they are prone to both.
Continue feeding meaty foods soaked in Selco/Selcon and it should clear up on its own, if not you may have to treat with Erythromycin.

Regards,
David Mohr

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the fins are still in great condition, and yes David you did warn me in the thread I posted about what to feed them that they were prone to fungus. I will keep up with the selcon soaked foods and hope it clears up. The butterfly seems healthy as far as behavior and feeding goes so Ill keep you posted. Thanks for keeping up with the post!

slug3135

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...wrong post
icon_sad.gif

[ July 18, 2001: Message edited by: slug3135 ]

Terry B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ben,
It certainly looks like Lymphocystis to me. The bad news is that there really isn't a medication to treat it. The good news is that with good water quality, a low stress environment and an improved diet it usually resolves itself. Also, this viral infection usually does not spread to other fish unless the water quality is pretty poor.
HUFA, Vitamin C and a little beta glucan are good additives to help return immune function to full capacity. You can get the HUFA from Selcon, for vitamins I like Zoe and Acquamarine makes Immune Boost which contains beta glucan. Are you using a powereful protien skimmer? How often do you feed the copperband? What are you feeding it?
Making a couple of water changes is a good idea. Is the Copperband compatible with all the other inhabitiants?
Don't use antibiotics at this point or copper for that matter. Both of them can suppress immune function making it counterproductive.
This is a little controversial, but anecdotal evidence indicates that reducing the salinity can help with lymphocystis. Reducing the gradient (common practice at commercail fisheries) between the surrounding water and the internal fluids of the fish relieves osmotic pressure. This makes osmoregulation less costly energywise, thereby conserving metabolic energy that can then be directed toward healing and fighting infection
Terry B

[ July 19, 2001: Message edited by: Terry B ]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: